Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Basket Blocks, Bears, and Simplified Celtic Solstice

Last week, I put Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt, Celtic Solstice, away.  But I forgot to put it out of my head.  I was still thinking about it, and got it out again.  I moved some parts around, eliminated some parts, and now have a quilt design that I'm finally ready to construct into blocks.  Here it is on the design wall today:

Notice that no chevrons were used in the making of this photograph!  I finally figured out that the yellow and orange were the parts that didn't agree with me, and I took them out, substituting a red in the four patches and a 3 inch red print square in the center of the alternate blocks.  I like it because it keeps Bonnie's design large circles, and the colors are much more to my taste.  And it is much more simple.  I'm so glad I have settled upon a design.  Now to get it assembled.  I could call it Simplified Celtic Solstice.  The chevrons are in a shoebox, to be included in a future quilt on down the road.

While I was figuring out Celtic Solstice, I was making some basket blocks, which will finish at 6 inches.























They are fun to make, and I'm using civil war reproductions and shirting.

Since this blog has veered away from the "small quilt and doll quilt" subject matter lately, I am bringing it back to center to talk about a crib quilt that I bought while I was in Shipshewana, IN last year.  It measures 41 inches by 52 inches.


Here are closeup pictures of the three appliqued bears:





It was made from a kit from Lee Wards, probably in the 1950's - 1960's.  The little bears with their umbrellas are so cute.  I love it! 

It's Monday linkup time at Judy Laquidara's blog (Here) to see what others have on their design walls today.  

17 comments:

Denise :) said...

I like your simplified version of CS -- it's still very eye appealing and your colors are gorgeous! Basket blocks are fun to work on, aren't they?! :)

Libby in TN said...

Great solution to CS. I can't even remember where the chevrons would go. Love your little baskets.

Sue Daurio said...

Oh your modified CS is just stunning. I like that so much better than the chevrons. I didn't do this one, but looking at your modifications just may push me over the edge and want to give this one a go too!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I really like your version of Celtic Solstice. It is beautiful!

JoAnne said...

Isn't it funny how you can put something away, but it still stays in your head? That happens to me quite often. I'm glad you found a good solution--I like your version a lot. I know that you loved the elements of the tile designs that inspired Bonnie. If I remember correctly, the star you have in the center looks a lot like the tile floor on Titanic--at the "clock area." Great job!

Rebecca Grace said...

Your Celtic Solstice is GORGEOUS! Just mesmerizing! I don't know what the original concept/design was, but I love how your stars and circles undulate across the quilt top. Very pretty.

Sandy said...

Love love love those baskets! Your fabric choices on these are very similar (some the same) as what I have in my stash. Look out - I see a basket quilt in my future!

The crib quilt - what a great find. I wondered if it were a kit before I read your note about it, as I came across a similar one several years ago, only it was Jack and the Beanstalk. Someone had donated the top to our quilt guild auction, but it needed to be sandwiched and quilted. I couldn't resist, so I volunteered my small quilt group to do it. Not sure that went over too well, but hey, we got it done, and now one of my small group members now owns it! Yours with the bears is just too cute. Thanks for sharing!

traditional_quilter said...

I like your Celtic Solstice layout. Your basket blocks are really cute and your 3 bears baby quilt is adorable, what a great find!

Karen Smith said...

Good choice. I like this more simple version too. The other was a bit to jarring for my taste but this is really nice.

Lori said...

I really really like what you decided to do with the mystery. I'm loving your baskets too, Shirting and civil war will get me every time.
What an adorable quilt!!

Kate said...

Your version of Celtic Solstice is beautiful, I like the simpler pattern too. Very cute crib quilt, those bears are just adorable.

Me and My Stitches said...

You know when you put a quilt away and it won't get out of your head that it's time to finish it! Your CS looks really great - love your version. And baskets are one of my favorite blocks - love yours! Cute little crib quilt!

Kindred Quilts said...

Simplifying your Celtic Solstice has made in into what YOU want... it's amazing! I can't wait to see pictures once the blocks are sewn together!
Love the little baskets... what a cute mini it will make!

Plum Cox said...

The simplified CS looks great - love the colours that you've chosen and how you are putting them together Cute cot quilt too.....

Anonymous said...

The CS is beautiful -love your results.

Charlotte

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

I thought I recognized your quilt blocks on the design board as being Celtic Solstice. The simplified version is wonderful!

Jeanne said...

Love your version of the Celtic Solstice. Your basket blocks are really cute, too.