Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Welcoming the New Year

2013 was such a wonderful year - celebrating 50 years of marriage, and having fun quilting and blogging.  I am looking forward to 2014 with enthusiasm.

Our New Year was spent in California, and we celebrated Michigan State's win in the Rose Bowl game!  We were two of the many Michigan State fans that enjoyed an unforgettable day - the Rose Parade, the football game, it was all so wonderful.  We both still have smiles on our faces, and will probably, for a long time to come.

We stayed in Santa Monica, and saw an amazing display in a store window in the Santa Monica Place Mall.  Here's what we saw at All Saints men's clothing store:

Vintage sewing machines from floor to ceiling!  Here's a picture of my hubby in front of the store:


After I got home, I looked on the internet, and there is a file of pictures in Flicker of their store windows from many of their stores.   (All Saints Window Displays)  Very beautiful display of old machines.

I'm having fun working on Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt, Celtic Solstice, and have put some blocks up on my design wall.  I am changing the pieces around, and having lots of fun seeing how different the design looks when I turn parts of the blocks in different directions.  My quilt will look quite different from all the other ones when it is finished.

I am still working on my choices before assembly,  and also working on parts of each clue.  The Chevrons are almost finished, and none of the pinwheels are assembled, but all of the half-square triangles are made.

Here's a picture on the design wall, of my current version of the quilt, but it will change some more before I sew it together.  The most fun for me is taking all the parts I've made, and moving them around, adding and subtracting pieces and thinking about how I want it to look.  I am adding more of the pinwheels to it because that's the part of the church tiles that I really liked in all of Bonnie's pictures.


It uses pieces from Clues 1,2,3 and 4, but none of Clue 5.  And it will probably change a few more times as I work on finishing the pieces.  It is so much fun to play with all of the little parts.

While on my trip to California and back, I didn't take any hand sewing project along, but used the time to reflect on the projects that I want to make in 2014.  I am so looking forward to quilting in this new year.  I hope you are too!

5 comments:

Judy Dietrich said...

Congrats on Michigan State making it to the Rose Bowl & winning!! That is a fun stadium to go to, but my team never does well there. I am a Big Ten fan, so I was rooting for you guys. Ohio State did not do as well. I was in the stands this year at the MSU vs NU game, and we had fumble itis!! It was a hard fought game & glad you were able to play in the Grand Daddy of them all!! I loved the Rose Parade. Sounds like you had fun & had a wonderful year.

julieQ said...

So awesome!! Love your version!

Lakegaldonna said...

Hi Judy

I am loving your version of Celtic Solstice. I also remember more pinwheels on the tiles that Bonnie photographed. Can't wait to see what you decide on to be your pattern.

Congrats on the 50 th anniversary last year!

Our daughter had been in Chicago this summer and stumbled across the All Saints window display on Michigan ave, very impressive.

It's funny, I am working on a paper pieced project right now on my featherweight. While working on it I have more than once thought how perfect this machine is for the execution. There are many small pieces and it's so easy to control the Featherweight stitch by stitch when you need that to be so.
Glad you are home safe.

dpagel52 said...

Your quilt is beautiful. ..I'm excited to see the end results. ..I'll be following along.
We to are MSU fans....We went to 1988 Rose Bowl and what a memory. ...kid's went this year....Sparty on with basketball team now!

Pam said...

The quilt is looking great Judy