Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

HO, HO, HO, and now ho, ho, ho

Yesterday morning when I posted about the little Christmas quilt that spells out "HO HO HO", I said it could be made a little smaller, so last night I tried it, and here's the results:



You will notice by the ruler that it is about 11 inches wide.  I cut the strips 1 inch, and therefore, the pieces should finish at 1/2 inch, and the whole quilt should measure 9 inches (18 pieces by 1/2)..........this demonstrates how important a 1/4 inch seam is when making quilts.  In this case, it's a doll quilt, and if it turns out 11 inches wide as a finished piece - it doesn't matter.  As I don't make quilts to be judged in shows, I don't care.  But I will be checking my 1/4 inch seam allowance again, because it is being sewn a little skimpy.  Most of the time it matters greatly.  

Here's the little doll quilt next to the bigger one, for scale:




I like the striped fabric in the larger quilt better, as it is striped on an angle.  But I wasn't about to cut the little quilt fabric on the bias to get a similar look.  I like to work with small pieces, but I'm not crazy.

Kay commented on my last post about where I saw this idea.  Kay said:
Love your fabric choice!  So cute! I've made a few Ho Ho Ho! quilts.  I saw the idea at inspiredbyantiquequilts.blogspot.com on 11/16/12.  Unfortunately it appears as though that blog has been taken down.
Thanks Kay, you are right.  I am sorry the blog is no longer available, she makes wonderful quilts, and her blog inspired lots of quilters.

As soon as the sun comes up this morning, I am heading to Shipshewana, Indiana, for the Dear Jane Retreat.  I am sure there will be lots of laughter and "ho ho ho's" in the conference room there as I finish these two little doll quilts.  

I will have pictures to share of the group's show and tell the next time I post.

4 comments:

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

merciful journey!

Julierose said...

Love them both--but that little dolly quilt is just adorablely cute! Have a great Retreat! Hugs, Julierose

Janet O. said...

Just FYI. Kathie's blog is not currently down, but she did shut it down last year and wiped out all back posts. It is up and running now, but you can't go back to posts prior to when she came back this year.
I am glad to know your source of inspiration. It is so cute, and I knew I had seen it, but couldn't put my finger on it. : )

Val said...

Wish I was going to be there Judy. I am still laid up on crutches. I love your little quilts and may give this one a try when I am able to use my machine. Have fun!