Pages

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Replica of an Old Doll Quilt

As I looked up when I had written about this quilt, I see the two posts referenced below are from 2013.  It seems like just yesterday.  

This little doll quilt was so much fun to make that I hated to finish it.  I know, that doesn't make sense, but there you have it.  I am making the binding of several different small prints, to be similar to the original.  As with this whole process, I duplicated what another quilt maker did a long time ago.  You can read about my work on this quilt  (Here)  and (Here)

I am cutting double fold binding at 1 and 3/4 inches wide.  I use 2" on bed sized quilts, and want this to be a little smaller.  The quilting is just straight line, nothing fancy because I don't want the emphasis there.   I am not using the hanging triangles on the back, because it is going into next year's Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show, and I will need to add a hanging sleeve.  And a label.

I thank Jane Weaver for giving me permission to make my version of the vintage quilt that she owns.  Here is her website:  (Here) and you can see the original under her "quilts" tab.

I am happy that my little quilt is on its way to being a finished quilt.  Sometimes it takes me a long time to completely finish a project. Here it is:  I added a third patch of red squares to mine.  It measures 16.25 in. by 20.5 inches before adding the binding.



Here's the original:

Circa 1895, 17 1/2 in. by 21 3/4 in.  New York State.



Here's the scraps that were with the quilt that I may use for binding:
  




And, update this morning, tada!!, here is the quilt, all bound and ready for the quilt show in Hampton, VA, next spring:




Now what shall I do to amuse myself today?  Hope you are staying inspired!




11 comments:

Sara said...

You did a great job recreating this little gem. Great job on finding similar fabrics too.

swooze said...

Adorable!

Supergoof said...

It's so lovely!
:o)

Robin said...

What a delightful little quilt. You did a nice job of duplicating the feel of the vintage one.

Julierose said...

this is totally beautiful--a wonderful replica--nice job. Lots of little pieces there...hugs, Julierose

kiquilter said...

Your duplication of the original is truly a masterpiece. Very impressive!

Karen said...

Your quilt is so much like the original. You did well!

CarolynPhi said...

This is the little quilt that intrigued me and made me want to follow your blog. What a beautiful result!

Phyllis said...

Beautiful! It really does look old, great fabrics!

moosecraft said...

Congrats on a finish! And, a very beautiful one at that!!! You may have inspired quite a few people to make one of these! :-)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh my gosh - I love your version!