Pages

Monday, October 30, 2017

Design Wall Monday - October 30, 2017

People give me their projects to finish.....I don't know why, but they do.....probably because I will take on the challenge.  Anyway, at a retreat last year, I was given this small wall hanging that was partially finished, and the owner was ready to throw it away.  She had done all the paper piecing of the leaves and the three pumpkins.  I took it home, and am finishing it this week.  All I have left to do is connect the pumpkin leaves by embroidering curly stems on the pumpkin vines.  I should have done this before assembly of the whole thing, but I forgot about the stems.

I think the problem she may have had was there wasn't enough background fabric to finish it, but I pulled some additional brown fabric from my stash and "made it work".  I love the little paper pieced leaf blocks she made.  I had her name somewhere, and can't find it now, but I will bring this to Shipshewana in November, to see if she is there, so she can see the finished wall hanging.

I have lots of ideas in my head for fall quilts.  Here are some that I'd like to make:

An hour glass quilt with blacks and cheddars and browns....

Small four patches with alternate squares of cheddar....

Single Irish chain of shirting squares on cheddar background....

Maple leaf square alternating with medium and dark fabric nine patch blocks....

Maple leaves quilt from this free tutorial, (to make in 1/2 the size, giving me 6 inch blocks of four leaves... to make in four units, so the quilt would be 12 inches by 12 inches)  (Here)


What about you?  I am looking forward to seeing what's on your Design Wall.




Happy Halloween!







5 comments:

Kate said...

Very pretty! You definitely figured out how to salvage those pumpkins. I like your ideas for other fall quilts. Looking forward to seeing at least one of those show up on your blog.

time4stitchn said...

Love your wall hanging! What a gift to get with such great piecework: too bad the quilter relinquished it. YOu have done such a great job and I really like the brown you added

Judy D in WA said...

I love your little wallhanging! Those itty bitty maple leaves are so cute!
Glad you saved it from being tossed.

Angie in SoCal said...

What a darling little save.

Debbie said...

Don't you love having a stash to shop from! Great fix!