Sometimes people ask me who I am making a quilt for.....and I feel guilty when I say I'm just making it for the pleasure of making it. I see quilts on the Internet that I love, and think......I'd love to have that quilt, but it's not possible.....But I can make my own version of it!
So that's why I make quilts - to have my own version of some of the lovely ones I see on the Internet.
When I was working on the snowball blocks for the quilt I blogged about last week, (Here) there were lots of small triangles left over from the corner cuts. I asked the other members of The Churn Dashers to give me their leftovers too, if they were throwing them away. So I set out to find a quilt that would use lots of small half square triangles. I found this one (Here) and loved it. I love the borders and how they are added.
Screen Shot from internet of the Quilt I like:
Then, after I started making it, I discovered that Barbara Brackman had posted about this quilt on her blog. (Here) and again (Here) and again (Here) Very interesting! Barbara Brackman is a quilt historian and her blog posts are very informative. Was it made in 1862? We will never know for sure. The original sold for $5,938 at auction, and measures 32.25" by 38.25".
Here's the story of my progress in making this quilt:
I started by printing out a copy of the quilt, and cutting the picture of the triangles into 5 sections, to concentrate on one section at a time. The original quilt had notes somewhere that said the hsts were 1 inch, but when I did the math, it would make the quilt smaller than the original, and when I looked at making it with hsts that were 1.25 inch finished, the quilt would be slightly larger than the original. I suspect the original had triangles that varied from 1 inch to 1.25 inch finished size. Since the triangles I had left over were able to be trimmed to 1.25 inch size, I went with that size. My completed quilt measures 38" by 45".
Here are the top two sections on my design wall:
Picture of the back:
While making small triangles, I press everything open to make it a little less bulky with so many seams.
When I had the four largers sections of hsts together, I added the red, white and blue borders on three sides. Then I made the "flags" of red and white stripes, and appliqued stars on the blue sections:
One final seam would connect the "flags" end to the four hsts section. But I had a problem in that the "flags" end section was narrower than the hst section. I remade the flag portions and made the red and white stripes a little wider. But then the opposite problem appeared: the "flag" end section was wider than the main hst section. I decided to remove the blue stripe on the top and the bottom of the main hst section, and replace it with a much wider blue stripe, and then after the "flag" end section was attached, I could whack off the blue stripe part that was wider then the "flag" section just attached. I hope you are following me on this. It was a hit and miss way to do it, but it worked. I was not about to make the two flags a third time.
Here is a picture of the complete top showing the blue stripes at top and bottom that are a little bit wider than they were on the completed quilt. Picture taken just before I cut them down to the size of the "flag" end.
I embroidered 1862 in the corner of one flag to match the original, and then added my label on the back with January, 2016 as the date the quilt was made.
It was a lot of fun to make, and I look forward to hanging it in my house for patriotic holidays, once it gets back to me.