Pages

Monday, November 13, 2017

Design Wall Monday - November 13, 2017

I've just returned from another great quilt retreat in Shipshewana, IN.  The ladies at this retreat are so talented! I have plenty of pictures to show you, but they will have to wait until next week. 

Today I'm showing you a small quilt that I just bound and finished while at the retreat:




One of the benefits of making lots of small doll quilts is that I get a lot of practice using different bindings.  On this one, I used two inch double fold striped binding, and matched the stripes on the pieces when I joined them.  With a stripe, I sew the "join" within the widest stripe, as it is easier to hide there.  Can you see the join seam?



Also, small quilts give me lots of practice in corners, and they are improving over my first attempts.  In the original quilt, the corners are rounded, but now that I know how to make nice square corners, I like to make them.



I quilted four "petals" into the center to mirror the green applique pieces in the first border:



I don't know if you can see them, but they are there in the red center part.

This quilt is a reproduction of a doll quilt on page 78 of the book Classic Crib
Quilts and How to Make Them
by Thos. K. Woodard and Blanche Greenstein.  It's one of my favorite doll quilt books.  Here's the picture of the original from the book:




What's on your design wall this Monday?  We want to see!!



11 comments:

Kate said...

A beautiful finish! It's almost an exact duplicate of your model.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Very cute small quilt. Your corners are perfect!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh my this little quilt is just perfection. You do amazing work on the corners and sashings.

Judy D in WA said...

I love little quilts! This one is adorable. Bias stripes are my favorite bindings and I love when you have to search for the seams.

Sara said...

I think striped binding always adds such a fun touch. Nice job matching those stripes.

Angie in SoCal said...

Love your Honey Bee quiltlet.

Rebecca Grace said...

I love your doll quilt! And what you said about practicing corners gave me a great idea. I'm teaching a beginner quilting class after the holidays and I was worried about straggling students who couldn't keep up not being ready to learn binding at the end of the last class... But if I have them practice binding a small square quilt sandwich, everyone will have a chance to learn the skills in class and will have a sample to refer to when they are ready to bind their big quilt!

Charlotte said...

Lovely mini quilt. I use single fold binding on my small quilts - have you tried that?

Charlotte

Robin said...

What a sweet little quilt. I love the colors you chose. The seams on the binding are practically invisible - nice job!

Robin said...

I probably should say I love the fabric you chose, especially the red.

Nancy said...

What an altogether delightful quilt! It's amazing that you were able to make such a close copy as the one in the book.