Pages

Monday, November 6, 2017

Design Wall Monday - November 6, 2017

I have the attention span of a gnat!  But you already knew that.  So this week, here are these maple leaf quilt blocks that I found while looking for something else, and they are on the design wall, now getting made into a small quilt.  They were acquired some time ago (I can't even remember where).

The blocks are all hand pieced, and the piecer was aiming for 8 inch squares.  However, they are "eightish" in size (see picture), and I decided to sash them to help square everything up. 





I picked out some solid sashing, and some cornerstone fabric, and began cutting the sashing to 3 inches, to finish at 2.5 inches. 




When I was part way through cutting sashing, I realized there wasn't enough and I would be short on sashing fabric....and I really wanted to use it.    That's when the sashing became 1.5 inches wide, unfinished.





Actually, I like the narrow sashing better.   I picture Tim Gunn from the TV show "Project Runway" saying .........."Make it work!". 

The start of November is when I start thinking about Thanksgiving and all that I have to be thankful for.  For one thing, I'm thankful for all of you, and that when you link with this blog I can see all the wonderful projects you are designing and quilting.  

Another thing I'm thankful for is getting together with some quilting friends for a semi-annual retreat this month in Shipshewana, IN.  Yeah!! We will be together Wednesday through Sunday and it will be so much fun to see my friends again.  I should have pictures to share with you of retreat quilts next week.

What's on your design wall?  





10 comments:

Kate said...

Those are beautiful blocks. The stitching looks so delicate. Enjoy hanging out with your buddies and stitching. Sounds like heaven.

Lois Stimax said...

I grew up in Middlebury, IN and always love the quilt shops at home. Be sure to stop at Gohn Brothers on Main St in Middlebury to see their selection of quilting fabric and Amish clothing. And have a donut from Rise and Roll—even better than Krispie Kreme! You make me miss home!

Kristin said...

Eight-ish!! Make it work!! Too cute! Way to make lemonade out of this problem. xoxo

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice quilt!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

You are so ambitious! I'm not sure I would have the patience to "redo" someone else's work. But, I am happy that you are doing this as I think it will be stunning in the end.

Quilter Kathy said...

And we are thankful for you! Thanks for hosting the link up for us!
Have a great time at retreat!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Judy, I like the narrower sashings also. It's going to look great. Have a great retreat and Thanksgiving.

Cathy Tomm said...

Great to see you make that sashing work. Have a good time at Retreat.

Angie in SoCal said...

I like the narrow sashing too.

Julie said...

What a great way to finish up some of those "ish" blocks. It will make a great little quilt. I am also going on a retreat with quilting friends. I am looking forward to it, we go to the top of a mountain in northern Idaho at an old ski lodge!