Pages

Monday, September 24, 2018

Design Wall Monday - September 24, 2018

Another week with not much going on for the Design Wall.  I am concentrating on quilting projects today and tomorrow, so I should have some progress to show you next week.

A non-quilting job just finished is a new sweater for a little bear.  I bought this little bear in an antique shop last year, and he wore a brown striped sweater with a red heart.  Adorable.   When I got him home, I noticed several moth holes in the back of the sweater.  I took it off, and threw it away.  I was glad there were no moth holes in the little bear.  He has been sweater-less until my recent project of making Christmas stockings for our son's family.  While on a road trip up north, I had the yarn for the Christmas project with me, and made him a red, green and white sweater, using the yarn I had with me.  Perfect for little bear, and he is now sitting on our fireplace mantle, looking very pleased with his new sweater.




This week I accomplished some mending jobs.  I hate to mend........it brings me no joy.  But it is necessary sometimes.  As some of you know, I am responsible for my younger sister who is now 70 years old.  Due to some of her healh issues, she has lost some weight, and was safety pinning her pants at the waistband to keep them from falling down.  I took one pair of new pants that fit her home with me (as a guide) and seven pair of pants too big in the waist when I visited her Thursday.  I took them home to Grand Rapids, and used elastic from my stash, and fixed them all.  When I mentioned to my sister's older son that I was doing some mending for her......he said, "Would you do a couple of mending jobs for me too?"   So I did those two jobs too, a pair of shorts and a dog harness....As I said before, no joy.   I wonder why I get no joy from mending or alterations to clothing.  Do you?



The quilting projects I have for this week are binding on three quilts, labels and hanging sleeves for five others, so I should have some nice finishes for you next Monday.  We are down to only our own dog and no company, so quilting will happen and I am looking forward to spending time on quilts.

What is on your design wall today?

You know what to do to link up!  All I ask is that you refer back to this particular blog post somewhere within your blog post.  Thanks!









14 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your little bear has a nice sweater in Michigan State colors. When the mending is finished, I get a sense of satisfaction of a job well done but I don't enjoy mending either. In fact, I've had a pair of my husband's flannel lined blue jeans that I need to mend before winter comes. They've been waiting since last spring, I'll get them mended before the snow flies sometime. Have fun sewing this week.

Kate said...

Glad you finished that sweater before it got cold, Bear definitely needs to be warm. It's a very cute sweater. Not sure why I hate mending, maybe because if I do that, then I can't quilt. At least you got all of that done and can go back to your quilt projects guilt free. Happy stitching this week.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Sweet sweater for a sweet little bear! I just had a small basket of mending to do pile up and was so happy when finished. No, also not my favourite stitching.

Quilter Kathy said...

I detest mending or working on clothes in any way... I have no insight as to why, but that's how it is!
You are a gem for doing all that work for family members... it takes so much time away from fun and relaxing sewing.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Cute little bear with his sweater! I, too, hate mending and alterations. I'm very short, so shortening everything has been the story of my life. Ugh! No joy, that's for sure. Congrats to you on getting the job done!

Judy D in WA said...

Sweet sweater for a sweet little bear!
Mending is a must do sometimes. I bet your sister is happy with pants that fit. I do get a great feeling of accomplishment when it is finished but oh can I put it off!!

Louise said...

I enjoyed reading your post this morning. I did take great
pleasure in doing mending for my Dad when he was alive.
His new pants always needed shortening and I was happy to
take that job on. Good memory!

Jay said...

I just realized/remembered I have to produce a baby quilt for granddaughter #5 PDQ. The baby shower is in early November! eeeek.
I'm with you about mending. It's a sometimes/too often evil, and I generally grit my teeth and get through it. My sweet husband knows to ask really nicely, and he sews on buttons himself. I donated a basket of mending my son gave me seven years ago -- I'd look at it, and think...maybe another day. That day never came.

AnnieO said...

Very cute bear sweater. Mending--Bah! I try to avoid saying yes to these requests, but it isn't always possible :)

Jennifer said...

I feel the same way about mending! I read somewhere that you would ask Picasso to pain pt your garage, so you shouldn’t ask a quilter to mend your clothes! Love the bear and sweater and hope you have some good quilting time this week!

MissPat said...

Haven't you heard that asking a quilter to do mending is like asking Van Gogh to paint a barn?
Glad the bear now has a sweater to keep him warm.

Kindred Quilts said...

Such a happy bear in his new sweater! I have occasionally taken in the waist of skirts, pants, or shorts for a tiny waisted granddaughter, but readily admit it's not a specialty I possess or really enjoy. I get over it after getting an appreciative hug from the little miss, making it worthwhile!

Angie in SoCal said...

Cute little bear and cute sweater. I'm lucky. I give alterations/mending to my 92 year old mother whose always looking for something to do.

Cindy Quilts said...

I'm a little late reading this post, but I do not get joy from mending/altering either. I tell people it is harder to alter something than it is to make it from the beginning. Your bear, and his sweater, are cute.