Pages

Monday, January 7, 2019

Design Wall Monday - January 7, 2019

Good Morning!  This past week I've been making blocks for two different quilts that I plan to finish in 2019.

First, the Broken Dishes blocks are continuing to be made.  Here are 25 green and shirting ones that I made this week:



There are lots and lots of these blocks in the quilt, so I am trying to make 25 each week.

The second quilt that I'm working on is a small cheddar basket quilt.  The baskets are pieced and the handles are hand appliqued.  I need about 130 baskets for my quilt, and have about half of them made.  This week I cut the pieces for the remaining baskets, and worked on getting all the remaining handles appliqued.  Here is the progress on the second half of the baskets so far:

Cheddar basket parts cut out:




Four handles prepped and pinned overnight, which helps get the handles to curve nicely before I applique:



Picture of the handles finished so far:



I am going to finish them this week if I do at least four basket handles each day. Then assemble the baskets in a later week.  It feels like an assembly line, but with two projects going, I can switch off when my attention span needs a change of pace.

I have decided on a setting of plain off-white blocks, with the basket blocks as sashing.  I am thinking it will look much like this pattern from Laundry Basket Quilts, called "Aurora", with my cheddar baskets where she has blue stars:



What are you working on this week?  I am looking forward to seeing your design walls.  Linkups are so appreciated.  Just provide a link back to this particular blog post somewhere within your blog post.



Inlinkz Link Party

9 comments:

Kate said...

You've made a lot of progress on both projects. Love those broken dish blocks. Oh so tiny, but they have impact. Good luck with your stitching plans this week.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a great idea to prep a few pieces every day... you'll make steady progress for sure!

Lakegaldonna said...

Love your layout on the basket quilt. I like it much better than overall baskets. Can't wait to see it done.

Meloney said...

I love your projects. Such large quilts. I've gone to making smaller ones, but I need to find another king sized one to work on for my bed.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh two beautiful new projects. I love baskets and in those wonderful cheddars will be gorgeous, I know. Can't wait to see it.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

finishing the red and white clue for the BH Mystery and wondering if I have enough yellow/gold/oranges for the sunflower quilt next up. Life is good.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love those little broken dishes blocks - tiny!

Julie said...

Your projects are great. What a fun idea for the cheddar baskets.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Those cheddar baskets are going to be delicious!