Pages

Monday, April 21, 2014

Quilting With A Best Friend

This week, my best friend is visiting from St. Louis, MO, and she is making a quilt for her brother.  I love the optical illusion of depth in this quilt, and it is so easy to put together.   We worked together on the cutting portion, and I was her assistant on the sewing together part.  Here's a picture of Dee, at work at the sewing machine:




She doesn't like to have me take her picture, so if you know her, don't mention that her picture is here.  hee,hee

Friday, here was our start:




We cut squares 8.5 by 8.5 of focus fabric, and then cut black fabric strips, one at 2.5 by 6.5 and one 2.5 by 8.5.  We added two background squares, each 2.5 by 2.5, to the black rectangles (at 1:00 PM and 7:00 PM position on the focus fabric squares, and each completed block, with it's "shadow" is then 10.5 inches, unfinished, finishing at 10 inches.

Here is the quilt now, as we are adding a scrappy border on the outside:



Doesn't the "shadow" make the focus fabrics pop?  The sashing finishes at 4 inches.




9 comments:

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

I've seen that quilt pattern at a few quilt shows and always loved it, focus fabrics just seem to float in air. Please hug and person who doesn't like to be photographed, for me.

Rebecca in AK said...

I like this quilt!! It really does have a 3D? look. Very cool! How fun to have your best friend to sew with. I promise not tell Dee you took her picture!

Sandy said...

Wow! It makes it look like those top fabrics are literally hovering over the quilt! What a brilliant design, and it does look pretty easy. Hmmm.... must try this....

Pam said...

Stunning quilt

Janet O. said...

I've always loved that shadow effect. Very cool!

Me and My Stitches said...

The quilt looks great and there is nothing better than sewing with a friend!

Lori said...

What a great pattern!

Unknown said...

I'm so happy that Dee is there sewing with you! This is gorgeous, and so different for you! I guess (with my new Sue Spargo fetish) we are both stepping out of our comfort zones!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Beautiful quilt top!
How wonderful to have a week of sewing with a best friend!
What a special treat - ENJOY!