Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A Special Exhibit at the Grand Rapids AQS Show in August

I am far behind in showing you pictures of quilts that I've seen this summer, and quilts that I have been working on.   But today I want to share a special exhibit of one woman's quilts that was part of the August AQS Show in Grand Rapids.

Aileen O'Toole Stannis was remembered and honored with a special tribute exhibit of 26 of her quilts.  This display of 35 years of beautiful master quilting was a real treat for me.  It included her quilt "Baltimore Remembered", which received the 1996 Gingher Hand Workmanship Award in 1996. But I enjoyed all of her work just as much as her award winning quilt.  Here are pictures of some of her beautiful quilts:


MILLENNIUM TRIANGLES
This quilt was a tribute to the year 2000, and has 2,000 triangles of vintage quilt fabric.  

Next is a reproduction of an old quilt.  Her hand quilting is so beautiful.
HER REPRODUCTION OF AN OLD QUILT

THE OLD QUILT
Next is her Calico Garden quilt.  I have always wanted to make this quilt - it's on my bucket list.
CALICO GARDEN
I love, love, love the blue and pink of this quilt:
PINK AND BLUE NINE PATCH

LOOK AT HER BEAUTIFUL HAND QUILTING!
Well, I will show you more of her quilts tomorrow, if you would like me to.  Her quilts are so beautiful.  

I haven't blogged for a month because I broke my right wrist, but it is all better, and I am now back in action.  

10 comments:

Rebecca in AK said...

Sorry to hear about your wrist. I am glad you are doing better. Thank you for sharing these quilts, they are just wonderul. Yes, her quilting is amazing.

Kindred Quilts said...

Thanks for sharing Judy! Indeed... the hand quilting is perfectly beautiful!!!

Barb said...

wow - incredible quilts thanks for sharing these beauties. I have always loved the Calico Garden too

Lakegaldonna said...

Sorry to hear about your wrist Judy!
I did see the exhibit of her quilts at Grand Rapids, truly enjoyable. Her work is awesome.

Vickie said...

Always love a free quilt show! Thanks!

Judy Dietrich said...

Ouch!! Hope it mends well. Thanks for the pics of this exhibit. Wish I could have gone to the show to see the quilting in person, but life gets in the way. Good Luck on the move!!

Terri said...

Hope your wrist gets better fast. It's probably kept you from lots of things.
Hugs

Every Stitch said...

Wow - such beautiful quilts and the hand quilting is truly inspiring! Thanks for posting them :)

AnnetteJ said...

Oh, yes please, Judy. I'm no where near Houston or Paducah and won't be ever getting there. I would love to see more of Aileen's quilts.

Jeanne said...

Glad your wrist is healed. This special exhibit was the best part of the AQS show for me. My sister and I had met Aileen many years ago at a Michigan Quilt Network gathering. We were lucky to see her in Paducah when she won the Gingher Award. Her quilts are awesome! Thanks for sharing the pictures.