Pages

Monday, February 20, 2017

Quilts - Finishing One and Beginning Another

The design wall has a newly started Valentine's Day quilt on it:



This picture was from the Internet - (Here)- and the printout was in my quilting notes, and I wanted to see what it would look like as a quilt.



The bottom wording may change when I get to that point.  But the picture already had grid lines, so I cut squares of fabric and began to make it. 

The red is a constant because I have a lot of it, but the shirting is from scraps. The picture is divided into about 60 grids, and I have finished 8 this week.  It is a very peaceful project, and I like having a new Valentine's Day quilt in process. There are 100 squares in the center larger grids (10x10) and less in the smaller outside grids.  The process is as follows:  (1) cut the squares (1.5 x 1.5 inches) which finish at 1 inch square.


(2) lay out one grid of squares (following the picture)on a portable piece of fabric (I used the back of one of my doll quilts):



(3) sew columns together in a "web", as I have these two on the right:



(4) sew the webbed columns together, row by row.  I leave the whole thing attached so it stays in order, and sew row 1 to row 2, etc. on down the piece.
When the rows are sewn, the two right pieces will be the same length as the ones on the left side of the picture.

(5) put each assembled grid on the design wall to see how it is progressing.

(6) Smile and do a little happy dance and start another grid.  I enjoy the process.  I usually work on two grids at a time, using them as leaders and enders going through the sewing machine, so there is not wasted thread.

Here's more Valentine's Day pictures from my home.  The newly completed quilt top is on the back of the living room couch.  By popular consensus, it will not have any borders, and will be bound in solid red binding.  I'll post another picture after it is back from the machine quilter, but she won't get to it until June.



The front door has Valentine Hearts to greet you, which I'll keep there until March:


What are you working on this week?  I'm posting a picture of my design wall at Judy Liquidara's blog, as I like to look at all of the pictures of other quilter's design walls, and see what they are doing. (Here)

5 comments:

Eszter/SubRosa said...

absolutely original idea! love it ♥♥♥

Julierose said...

Lovely piece--I like working with squares, too...hugs, Julierose

Karen said...

I like that you have used so manby different background fabrics. Makes for a very scrappy quilt.

Candace said...

This is going to be beautiful! I like the variation in the background.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

What a great idea. I hadn't thought of using cross stitch designs in this way. The design is coming out beautifully.