Pages

Monday, April 16, 2018

Design Wall Monday - April 16, 2018

Today is my birthday, and I am celebrating being 75!  I have had a fabulous week, as I was on a quilt retreat in Shipshewana, Indiana for five days, and just got home last night.  While there, I finished four small quilts/doll quilts, and had a great time visiting with all of my friends who gather there each year.

Here is a table runner kit that I almost threw away. It was partially finished, and was giving me trouble.  It is made of loosely woven homespun fabrics, and when I tried to quilt some straight lines through it, I made puckers and pulls......so I set it aside for quite a while.  Recently, I decided what to do to rescue it:  I took out all of the quilting on the homespun, and added a border of small hsts that were given to me a few years ago, by Jill Shram, who sat near me at a previous Shipshewana retreat.

I liked it a lot better with the small triangles as a border, and I gave it minimal quilting this time, to avoid the previous trouble with the homespun fabrics.  Quilting is just around the apples, and along the border.  I have named it "The Apple Pie Table Runner"  and it will be on my dining table in the fall.


Here is a closeup of Jill's little left-over triangles that are now part of the table runner.  They finish at one inch.



Thank you Jill!  

This retreat, I visited my friend Rebecca Haarer's antique shop, and bought an old ladder, for displaying doll quilts in my quilt work room.  If you are in Shipshewana, Indiana, I recommend stopping at her shop; there are lots of antique quilts, and other goodies there.  

Here is my new display ladder, with the doll quilts on it that I brought to the retreat for show-n-tell night.



What have you been working on?  I can't wait to see.

I say this every week, so here are the details again: 

If you are linking with Design Wall Mondays here, please link back to this particular post somewhere within your current post.  I appreciate it so much when you do.

Use this web address when you fill out the "link" information:

http://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/design-wall-monday-april-16-2018.html

and not the generic address for my blog (http://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com)




23 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Happy birthday! Your apple runner turned out great! The little HSTs were the perfect addition to finish it off.

Kate said...

Those are some small HSTs! They make a great border. It's such a pretty table runner, glad you were able to find a way to salvage it.

Carolyn said...

Happy birthday, Judy!

Quilter Kathy said...

Happy Birthday! How wonderful to be able to celebrate while at a quilt retreat!
Have a great time!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!! Your table runner is adorable - that border is aweseom!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Happy birthday Judy! We should have had a cake for you last week. You did a great job salvaging the apple wall quilt. I look forward to seeing what you do with the pieces I donated to you. Blessings!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Happy Birthday - mine too!

Nann said...

Happy birthday, Judy! And thanks for hosting DWM.

Tracy said...

Happy Day! Your ladder is such a nice way to display your quilts.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

happy birthday - 5 days or a retreat must have been fun

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Happy Birthday. The apple pie table runner is so sweet. mary in az

Sara said...

Happy birthday! I love that ladder and have looked for a good one for a couple of years now. They are hard to find in such nice condition.

Denise said...

I have come to love visiting your site on Monday's and seeing what you have been up to. How do you find the time for all of these finishes? Happy Birthday.

Theresa Morgan said...

HAAAAAAPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!! So glad you were able to get away.... And to quilt too!! Whaaaaaa Whooooooo.. a Win Win.....

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I'm sure glad you didn't throw it away! It is adorable. Happy Birthday.

Cathy Tomm said...

Happy Birthday! So good to get to retreat and sew and hang with friends. Love the little latter with many of your doll quilts.

chrisknits said...

I have old tobacco sticks to make a ladder with, just haven't the nerve to attempt it! Love your ladder. And great way to finish off the table runner.

Suzanne said...

Happiest of birthdays to you! We are celebrating two birthdays here today too. April is a great time for a baby!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Happy Birthday and Very Happy 75th!!!!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Judy, those HST are tiny! Happy birthday :-)

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

I always want to link but I don't want to bring the blag out of retirement :) Been working on houses this week, no particular project, I have a basket of different size houses. One day it will fall on me and all that will be left is ankles and shoes. Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!
Andrea in St. Louis

sewyouquilt2 said...

Happy birthday. Your runner came out great. Tiny hst whew