Pages

Monday, October 15, 2018

Design Wall Monday - October 15, 2018

This week I have something on my Design Wall!  Yeah for me!  I'm getting ready to exchange Chimney Sweep blocks (also called Album Blocks) with my fellow Churn Dashers in Virginia.  I am making four blocks each for eight different individuals, so 32 blocks were made this week.  I love this block!  It went together beautifully.

Here is a picture of the 32 blocks on my design wall.  They are 10.5 by 10.5 unfinished size (except for the little one at the top, which I will talk about later).




Closeup of two of the blocks:








It's a great block to show off stripes and beautiful civil war repros, and I can't wait to see the blocks I will get in the exchange next week.  Patience is not one of my virtues.

If you would like to make this block, the directions are on the internet in several places.  This block finishes at 10 inches, and I used the tutorial/directions found (Here)  For our block exchange, we are using Kona Snow for the white parts.

Did you notice the little block at the top of my design wall?  I had to try a small block, that finishes at 5 inches.   I made that one because I needed a break from all of these big 10 inch blocks.  I am so used to making small blocks, and it was fun to make this one.

To make a block  1/2 the size of the directions, all you have to do is follow these three steps:

(1) subtract 1/4 inch from every side of the big block directions for each piece that is in the block.

(2) divide the resulting measurement in half.

(3) add back 1/4 inch to every side of the new smaller directions.

Next week,  I will give you the directions for the smaller size, if anyone is interested, as I've already done the math......and some quilters don't like math.

What's on your design wall this Monday?

Please link back to this particular blog post somewhere within your blog post today.  Thanks!










10 comments:

Kate said...

That's a lot of blocks! They all turned out beautifully. You'll have to show a picture of the blocks you get in the swap.

Quilter Kathy said...

Very lovely blocks!

Karen said...

Excellent block design for a swap. Will you write anything in the middle of the blocks?

Sara said...

Love those album blocks and especially love them in the Civil War repro fabrics. Beautiful choice for a friends exchange.

Denise said...

This is one block I've never made, your's look great. Thank you for the linky party.

Kindred Quilts said...

LOve this block, especially the 10" size. What a get sew-along to be in! Thanks for the link to the tutorial you used... I've already printed the instructions!

Jacqueline said...

Your blocks are beautiful. Anxious to see what you get in return. I would love the math for the smaller block. Until I do one I have a hard time reading the instructions.

Jay said...

I have a hard time making big blocks -- bigger than 8" makes me a little twitchy! I'll wait for the 5" block instructions, as I don't do math unless I'm forced to. I recognized the green in the second close-up. I love seeing other quilters use fabrics I know and love!

Rebecca Grace said...

Thanks for the close ups of those blocks -- you did an amazing job of aligning the fabric prints on each one. Beautifully done!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love this block and enjoy making it! your fabrics are amazing!