Pages

Monday, December 10, 2018

Design Wall Monday, December 10, 2018

Donna, a reader, asked for information about my header quilt.  Here is what I wrote about it back in 2013.














The quilt measures 22 x 35 inches and the squares are one inch.  It is a memory of the fun I had as a child, sifting through the buttons in my Mom's button box, and was made the year after my Mom died, in 2007.  I had seen one in a button shop in St. Charles, MO, years ago, and this is a copy of that quilt.  I found this picture below on the web, and it may be of the quilt from the shop in St. Charles, Mo.  I don't know for sure.



It is quite heavy, so I haven't hung it on the wall, but I usually put it over a table top, for display.  I had fun picking out old buttons from Mom's button box to sew onto this quilt.  Hope those of you who haven't heard this story enjoy it, and for those of you who have heard it already, I hope you enjoy it again.  When you are old, like me, any story is a new one, because I can't remember hearing it before.  

Here's an old picture of our beloved Sally, sitting near it when I was first photographing it, back in 2013.  She was pure love, and we miss her.



And here's a picture of Penny taken yesterday, in her "down" position, watching me sew on the sewing machine.  After about 20 minutes, I stop and let her move around, as she is still a puppy.  Here she has a look on her face that says "Why would you want to sew on that sewing machine instead of playing catch with me?" 



This week I will be able to spend more time looking at design walls.  Yeah!  I so enjoy seeing what everyone is making.  The link up rules are simple - please refer back to this particular post somewhere within your blog post.  Thanks!





8 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a lovely remembrance of your mother. Blessings!

Kate said...

What a great way to remember your mother. Hope you get it lots of stitching time this week.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is a cute little quilt with a lot of work in it

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

I remember that shop in St Charles. I bought a pattern there that became my very first quilt-like project. I agree with you about what a treasure a button box can be - I still have my grandmother's which was originally her mother's. Brings back memories! I love your header quilt, and I certainly understand about the weight of it.

Quilter Kathy said...

Enjoyed reading the story of your beautiful quilt... and seeing the fur babies!

LA Paylor said...

she is showing so much self control... my 20 month old couldn't be still for 20 minutes!

Betty Lou said...

Thank you for sharing the story of your header quilt, I've often wondered about it but never asked. It's beautiful and what a heirloom for generations to enjoy. When on the table, the buttons must just glisson with the sunlight. Again, thank you for sharing your story.

Denise said...

Wow, I never noticed those were buttons. With the quilt laying next to Sally its really easy to see how small the blocks really are. I'm not very far from St Charles. Thank you for the linky party.