Good Morning Quilters! TaDah! Viola! Bazinga! The WIP from last week has become a quilt top! There were several issues to overcome, as there always are, but I overcame them. Here is a picture of it on my design wall:
If you are interested in the issues, here they are:
A) Several blocks were made years ago when I didn’t understand that these blocks would all have to fit together into one big quilt top. The upper left side block with the hour glasses next to it was too small. So a small border on two sides corrected that. Some pieces had to be trimmed, or tweaked, or redone, to make them fit. Trust me, a consistent 1/4 inch seam is essential when combining blocks of different shapes and sizes.
B) Partial seams were involved in the instructions. I hadn’t joined very much of the quilt together until this week, and found I could eliminate one of the partial seams. See this picture of the lower third:
The original instructions had the checkerboard piece being sewn onto a block above it before sewing other pieces together. I kept it with these pieces and no partial seam was needed.
C) My love for making appliquéd pieces had waned by assembly time, and I substituted three 6x6 inch churn dash blocks for the last undone appliquéd block. The appliquéd piece was 6x18 inches. Easy decision for me, because I am more comfortable piecing than appliquéing.
D) When sewing seams together, I found some of my appliquéd leaves were too close to a seam line, and I adjusted them slightly (made the leaf smaller) to avoid losing part of it in a seam. This happened three times. I shall be conscious of this in future projects to be sure nothing is in the 1/4 inch seam line,
E) My color choice did not show enough contrast in one blue three blocks set. I moved the block set to the top of the quilt, which helped slightly, and I ended up redoing one of the three pieced blocks to make the center a lighter color, to give more contrast. Here is a picture before I substituted a lighter blue for the far left block of the three:
The first picture at the top of this post shows the revised version. Probably wouldn’t have bothered anyone else, but I like it better with the change.
I intend to add an appliquéd border to this quilt. The original quilt, made by Blackbird Designs, has an outer border of vines, leaves, and small birds. Barb Adams of Blackbird Designs’ version:
What is on your design wall this week? I’m looking forward to seeing what you are working on! Please join the Design Wall Mondays Linky Party below. Those of you who link back to this post and mention the Design Wall Monday Linky Party in your post are appreciated. Thank you.
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!Click here to enter
Sometimes there is a lot of problem solving when making a quilt, isn't there? Despite the problems you had along the journey of this quilt, it is beautiful! How fabulous you must feel now that all the applique blocks are joined and you can now have fun with the border. Have fun making the vines and leaves.
You've made really good progress on this UFO. I like all your "fixes", it does make it easier when realize you don't have to be a slave to the pattern. Happy stitching this week.
You really made this a lovely quilt--so nice you could figure out how to get it to work together--that isn't always easy...It looks beautiful-- nice work...
Your quilt top turned out great! I love the combination of applique and piecing, and the challenges you ran into all worked out just fine. Beautiful job!
Your quilt is lovely! Appliqueing the borders will be a relaxing in the evening watching basketball, happy stitching!
It's lovely, Judy. The substitutions you've made make it your own. And I like the varied colors you've used (in contrast to the designers' monochrome).
It's beautiful and you found excellent solutions to the issues. So much applique and so well done.
Congratulations on moving your project along... well done! It's a marvellous sampler quilt!
I'm a big believer in simplifying a project to get it finished. It also makes it unique. I love how you problem solved and have made such a beautiful top.
This is coming along so nicely - I love how the blocks are being set
Wow!! that is amazing!!! So glad you pursued !!!
Your quilt is lovely. Your changes made it much better than the designer's version.
an avian delight with very creative problem solving!
This quilt is stunning. Congratulations on completing the quilt top. Have a great week and happy quilting.
Your quilt is gorgeous!! I just love it! Hugs,
You did a beautiful job on the quilt. I purchased the book years ago and was going to do the quilt in batiks - of which I will if I ever get to it. I love their designs! Have a wonderful week. Hugs
You have do e a good job sorting out the puzzle pieces in this quilt. I'm preparing to baste a small quilt, have the top done and cotton batting cut, misted and hung to get wrinkles out. Next is to find the backing.
Great finish!!! You did a great job getting all the parts to fit together and I love your color scheme, so cheerful!!! Must feel great to have it done!
Amazing work, well done!
Wow, looks so good, Judy!!! Great job juggling as needed and getting the main body put together!!!! I'll be interested in seeing what you do for the applique border.
A LOt of fun on your design wall.
Mine is exactly as it was in December. :( I need to do something!
I missed the linkup this week but linked to your blog from mine anyway.
You have truly puzzled that quilt together beautifully!
Your quilt top looks stunning
Congrats on getting all your blocks together!
Post a Comment