Pages

Friday, June 19, 2015

Wedding Anniversary and Flag Day

Here's a little flag for Flag Day.  It was late at night, and I went into the sewing room to work on something else.  But I saw this on the internet, and made a change of plans to make it that night.  It goes together very fast.





The instructions are on Temecula Quilt Co.'s blog...(Here)   I modified the directions slightly to add a little narrow sleeve on the back left side to hold a stick. This little flag is only 3.5 inches by 5 inches.  It was so much fun to make. The little girls are holding it between them, and will keep it with them until after the Fourth of July.  

Blue part is a nine patch of  1/2 inch squares.  The red stripes are 1/2 inches wide, so it's tiny, but goes together so fast.  The instructions said to only use single fold binding, and I did.  Cut 1 inch wide, it is the narrowest binding I've ever used.  It worked well for this little quilt though, and I think single fold is good for little projects like this one.

The next morning I wandered out in the yard looking for just the right stick to use as a flag pole.  I waved my arms at a deer who was approaching my meager wild flower patch.  They are so tame that it only went a little ways away and stared at me as if to say....."Please go back inside so I can continue to have breakfast on your flowers".

Dee and I are past the half way mark on the 64 blocks of red work, and I've now started on one of the outside borders.  My friend Joan told me that an applique Baltimore BOM that she is working on is sent to her in this order:  4 monthly block shipments, then a border, 4 monthly block shipments, then a border, 4 monthly block shipments, etc......so the borders are not left to the end, as they are a daunting task.  Some people might be inclined to skip making the borders if they were left to make at the end.  So, I thought the same may happen to this quilt, and I cut fabric for all four borders.  I am starting in the middle of one of them.  I made my red work squares slightly larger than the pattern, and haven't cut them down yet, so I'm not exactly sure how long or wide the quilt will be, but I've started in the middle of one:





The border ideas on the internet are plentiful, and tempting, but I went with the original pattern, with a slight alteration to make the stems thinner than originally shown.  They looks like passion flowers to me, so I hope there is passion in me to complete all four borders.

Flag day was not the only celebration this past week.  Our anniversary was Monday, and we have been married 52 years.  We dated for about 5 years before we married, so we have been a couple for most of our lives.  (DH is 73 and I am 72).  We celebrated at home with a casserole (made by me this time) and wonderful strawberry shortcake made with local fresh strawberries.  On Wednesday night, we celebrated again by dining out.  After dinner, we drove to the beach and watched a beautiful sunset over Lake Michigan.  God is so good!  Please enjoy the sunset with us:




Linkups on Friday are as follows:

Confessions of A Fabric Addict Blog (Today she has a link to a one hour basket tutorial) (Here)

Fort Worth Fabric Studio Blog ((Here)














10 comments:

Heidi said...

Even though I follow Temecula, I somehow missed this cutie. Love the vertical sleeve idea. cute cute cute.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Happy anniversary, you love birds!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! Love your little flag quilt. I might need to make one of these. Using a stick for the pole is brilliant!

barbara woods said...

congrats , i am 73 and hubby will be 73 next month. you'll are truly blessed , we have been together 18 years , wedding anniversary is in August this year will be 18 years

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Coming up on 45 years this December. Life is good, God is great! Love the sunset picture! Laura V.

Louise said...

Congratulations to both of you for your anniversary. We have our 51st coming up in October,
One week after I turn 70..yikes.how does that happen? My husband and I always celebrate pretty low key as well. This year our priest announced our 50th after Mass. That was special for us. I am still enjoying the little swap quilt I received from you in Lori's swap. It is still currently residing right across the room from my stitching chair, allowing me to enjoy it daily.
Thank you again.

Pam said...

Lovely pictures, happy anniversary

Lakegaldonna said...

52 years married. How wonderful Judy. I can hardly believe you are 72!!!
Love reading your blog too.

Judy Dietrich said...

Happy Anniversary!! Love your picture of the sunset. Think of how many sunsets you have seen together!! My hubby and I dated for 5 years too!! We will be at 33 years married in August. Time just flys.

Joanieb said...

So glad you are starting your borders, they are going to be splendid with the blocks. Hope your anniversary was fun, you guys are a great couple!