Pages

Monday, May 16, 2016

Traveling Again This Month

When people ask me how I stay busy in retirement, I just laugh...and laugh....and laugh.  I think I've been busy my whole life, and retirement doesn't seem to slow me down.  Yesterday we flew back from a visit to our daughter and her family in Texas.  I got to watch my high school senior grandaughter get dressed up for prom, which was a special treat.  I even sewed some sequins and beads in place on her dress Saturday morning.  She is so beautiful and it was a special time together.

Now I'm back home and playing catchup with the 365 Days of Quilt Blocks project.  

Here are a few of the blocks I've made lately.  We have moved from 3.5 inch blocks to 6 inch blocks, and from "dark" fabric choices to "light" choices.

Here are the latest ones, with my "inner critic" thoughts below each:


Wouldn't it be great to have an entire quilt of these little pink stars?  I like it a lot.


 I basted the outside edge of this block because the edges were on the bias.  I like the fabrics in this one.  Nothing I would change (for a change).


I like the card trick block, and would use a different fabric (or fussy cut it) for the lower left corner fabric.  Also the outside stripes could have been going all the same way.


This block made me realize that I could have made the corner pink fabric stripes all go in the same direction, but didn't think about it until it was too late.  Each block teaches me something that I could change if I made it over again.


There should be more contrast in the pinwheels, and that's what I learned from making this block, and no, I'm not making it over.   


I didn't plan on the flowers being on each of the hourglass blocks - but it just happened!  How cool is that!  I love quilty serendipities!

What are you working on this week?  

Linking up with the usual Monday Link-Ups:

Design Wall Mondays (Here)
Monday Makings  (Here)
Oh Scrap (Here)
Monday's Moving It Forward (Here)

6 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love all of your blocks but the top stars are my favorite. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

all great, like the last one best, out of all the bests :)

Leah Rubin said...

Love the colors and the sweet outcomes! Yes, a quilt of all pink stars would be delicious, and the posies on the hourglasses are so pretty!

Sandy said...

I like your blocks just the way you made them, Judy. The randomness of the little flowers and stripes pull your eye around the block and create more feeling of movement. If you study vintage quilts you will find many with the same randomness, making them more interesting and fun to look at. These are my favorite kind of quilts!

Anonymous said...

Love how the flowers turned out in the pieces! They look like eyes! Laura V.

Nancy said...

These blocks are so beautiful! I love the pink fabrics you've chosen. I don't often use pink but after seeing these blocks I think maybe I should start collecting a few and use them!
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)