Pages

Monday, November 13, 2023

Design Wall Monday - November 13, 2023

 Good Morning Quilters!

It was a wonderful, peaceful week at the retreat in Shipshewana, Indiana.  So many wonderful ladies gathered in one room, all talking and laughing together.  I loved it.

 While there I finished the binding on the May Day Basket Quilt, and made some more bird blocks for Cousins Walk.  Here are a few pictures from the retreat:

First, a picture of me with my progress on Cousins Walk:



Next, a picture of all the ladies who came with their bird blocks of our uncompleted Cousins Walk Quilts. 

Note:  Several of us wear aprons while we sew in the work room, and I am wearing one of my mother’s aprons.  It looks like a skirt, but is pleated cotton, and was one of her “company coming” aprons, not an everyday one.

For the “Show and Tell” Friday night, I brought my large and small May Day Baskets quilts.  I had showed these two quilts before as just tops, but brought them again to show the quilting, and that they are now finished.  Yeah!

Here are pictures from that night:



At the end of “Show and Tell”, an antique quilt was shown to our group by Rebecca Haarer, an antique shop owner in Shipshewana.  I love old quilts, and she always brings a lovely one for us to see.


The hourglass blocks measure only 2 inches finished size!  Several of us want to make our own version of it.  Even though I vowed to finish all my UFOs before I start any others, I do start new projects.  Last April at this retreat, I started Cousins Walk, so it may happen.

Close-up of the quilt:



What have you started this week……or what have you finished?  Thanks for participating in the Design Wall Monday Linky Party each week.  Even if you don’t have a design wall, link up your blog post and we can read about you and the fun you are havng.  Don’t forget to provide a link back to this post within your blog, and mention Design Wall Mondays to your readers.  Thanks!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your bird quilt looks so nice, all of the quilts did on display in the hallway. I'm tempted to start the hourglass quilt also but it won't be until after Thanksgiving. Happy stitching!

maggie fellow said...

beautiful quilt - I have 3 1/2 inch hourglass blocks hiding somewhere

Kate said...

Sounds you had a lot of fun and got a lot done. Sometimes you just have to start something new to keep you motivated to work on the UFOs.

Sara said...

The antique hourglass quilt is stunning! I have a small bin full of hourglass blocks made from trimmed triangles. You've given me ideas. I was going to tell you that your skirt was very cute - the apron is definitely cute. I've never seen one with pleats like that.

Cousins Walk is going to be stunning!

Rebecca Grace said...

Oh how wonderful all of this sounds! I've never done a quilt retreat before but my guild is planning one for next August. I enjoyed seeing both your beautiful quilts and beautiful YOU in today's post -- now I can put a face to the words I'm reading here. :-). My grandmother had fancy aprons like the one you were wearing, too. I'd forgotten all about them, but as soon as you mentioned the apron for company it brought back a rush of sweet memories, arriving at Grammy's house for Thanksgiving and she'd be bustling around in her kitchen wearing a special apron like that one. And oh, the 2" hourglass blocks!!! Scale makes such a difference, doesn't it? I love those antique quilts with all of their tiny patches of fabric!

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

Your May Day Basket quilts are amazing. I too love old quilts, because they always amaze me in that they didn't seem to take short cuts as in including curves, circles, partial seams and applique. I have found it easier to put these pieces together my hand, but oh it takes so much longer. I cannot image 2 inch hour glass pieces. Wow! Thanks for hosting. Love seeing everyone's ideas.

Quilter Kathy said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! It is on my bucket list to go to a Shipshewana retreat! Your basket quilts are so beautiful and I'm sure everyone appreciated seeing them!
I made a quilt top with 2.5" hourglass blocks... it's still hanging in the UFO closet unfortunately.

Julierose said...

Your Cousins Walk quilt is just beautiful--lovely work--can we get this pattern anywhere? hugs, Julierose

Bonnie said...

It sounds like you had a great time at retreat. I hope you got a lot of progress made amongst the talking and laughing.

Laurie said...

I have fond memories of Shipshewana and visiting there with quilting friends back when I lived in Indiana. :) It's really a neat area and there are such neat fabric shops in the area - or were when I was there. I'm glad you had such a good time. It sounds like you got a lot done.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Judy, that sounds like such a great retreat. Thanks for sharing!