Pages

Monday, December 11, 2023

Design Wall Monday - December 11, 2023

 Good Morning Quilters!

Since I’ve been sick with a bad cold for over a week, I’ve done little quilting,  However, I did do a little planning on what I want to work on to start the new year.  The number of UFOs here must be dealt with, and 2024 will start with a good push against them.  I know, it is only mid-December and I have no Christmas decorations up yet, but the thoughts of starting the new year with some pleasant beginnings cheered me up.  I didn’t feel like doing too much.  I am feeling better each day, and have decided to resume living.  lol

So here are my 2024 plans::  

I have this UFO that is very near completion, and I want to get it all done.  It  is called “Two Step” and is on the cover of a book by Barbara Brackman.



I have most of the blocks made, but in a different size than the pattern, and my block count is 200 of each of the two contrasting blocks.   The pattern blocks finish at 3.5 inches, and mine are a little bigger.  I think they finish at 5 inches square.  After I got the UFO unboxed and looked at it, there were only about 17 blocks in pieces.  I sewed them all into blocks last week, so the only thing left to do in 2024 is sew all the blocks together.  

A second UFO that I looked at was a Jacob’s Ladder block exchange quilt pattern.  The blocks I have are from an exchange with The Churn Dashers of Tidewater Virginia, and the quilt is shown in American Patchwork & Quilting, December, 2019.



With the exchange, I had 96 blocks, and the quilt has 120 blocks.  So I only need to make 24 more blocks……12 slanted to the right and 12 slanted toward the left.  I am making one of each whenever I can to get all the blocks completed by February, 2024, so I can sew the whole top together then.  I made 2 last week while I was sick, and I am making 2 more today.  Here is a picture of the current two of them laid out with the sample block next to them:




The two blocks use the same components, but hsts are turned differently.  I have to lay a sample block out with the one I am sewing together,  just to be sure I have the parts turned the correct way.

What are you working on, or planning for next year?  I am planning on getting the  Christmas tree up and decorated before we meet again next Monday.  Please stay healthy and take care of yourself - this cold was a doozie!  And thanks for joining in our Design Walk Monday Linky Party!  You are a blessing.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

Preeti said...

I know where the Christmas tree is and most of the ornaments too. Now if I can locate the tree skirt, I will bribe Paul to set it up :-D Working on secret sewing and tons of it. Have a sew productive week.

maggie fellow said...

both quilts will be fun for the coming year and so close too. At least I think that, until assembly seems to take forever. LOL

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. If you don't put up a lot of decorations, you'll get to your piecing sooner in the new year! You have some pretty quilt finishes planned for next year. Happy stitching!

Kate said...

I went with the mini tree this year, that was so much faster to set up. Hope you are feeling much better this week and can get your holiday spirit ramped up to tackle the holiday decorating. I've been considering my plans for 2024, I think I've got my quilt plan worked out. Looks like you've got a good plan to tackle some of the older UFOs. Happy stitching this week.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hope you feel better this week and can get everything done that you want to

Sara said...

Both of those quilts will be stunning, and you are so very close to having them finished. I've been going through some block sets as well to plan my 2024 projects.

I'm glad you are feeling better.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Those are both beautiful WIP's to get finished up and you are so close with them. Sorry to hear about the cold. I got the over 65 flu shot and am thinking I should get the new covid as well. You are not the only one I've heard have a hard cold and the winter has just begun here in Ontario. You take care now!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Judy, I'm glad that you're starting to feel better. I can't believe that you put 2 blocks together when you were sick. I can only do something like that when I'm at my very best but then that's the accuracy challenged in me lol! It's great that you're planning ahead for next year's UFO finishes. It looks like you'll have those dealt with. Take care of yourself.