Pages

Monday, December 18, 2023

Design Wall Monday - December 18, 2023

 This week was semi-productive in my quilt studio.  I put some things away, and got some more things out.  hehe. I found some old hourglass blocks that I will cut to 2.5 inches unfinished size to use in the Hourglass Quilt that I’m making.  Here is a picture of three of them, untrimmed:


This crumpled, hand stitched, partially completed quilt top has many issues, and this will be a good use of what I can salvage from it.  I am resewing all seams on the machine.

Here is a picture of my design wall, showing a beginning of my version of the Challenge Hourglass Quilt.  I am using 10 rows of hsts on all sides of the center hourglass blocks.  I will then put another small indigo border around the hsts before continuing on with an outside portion of hourglasses.  I will be able to get lots of hourglasses from the old partial quilt top.  Win,win.



Also, four more Jacob’s Ladder blocks were made.  Pictured here:


Christmas is coming, and I am preparing at my own pace.  As I age, I am much less stressed about getting everything finished on time.  Christmas will come whether I am ready for it or not, right?  And as an older person in our family gatherings, the gatherings are usually in one of our kids homes, not in ours.  Changes happen every year, but celebration of the birth of Jesus is the constant center of the holiday.  And of course, the most important part.

Yesterday we went to see a children’s Christmas program, and it was so special.  Image a group of children singing carols loudly and enthusiastically and acting out the Christmas story.  Priceless.  


Thanks for faithfully joining our Design Wall Monday Linky Party.  You are loved and appreciated.  Clink on the link below and share your blog post.  

Merry Christmas!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

Kate said...

Sounds like you have a plan for the hour glass project. I've had one of those weeks too, putting up a few things, dragging a few things out. This week will definitely need to focus on Christmas prep and not stitching, but I'm hoping to get in a bit here and there. Enjoy your family gatherings this week. Hard to believe next Monday is Christmas!

Gretchen Weaver said...

You're really making progress with your hourglass blocks! Have a blessed Christmas with your family!

cityquilter grace said...

our kids program was yesterday as well and it was outstanding! oh i envy the energy those kids have...it really perked up my day

Sara said...

I'm happy to hand over the hosting duties to the next generation. It's so much less trouble for us to travel their direction. Your hourglass project is really going to be gorgeous. Are the fabrics actually vintage or just lovely reproductions?

Bonnie said...

It's a great idea to, dare I say it, cannibalize your previous effort with quarter square triangles. Might as well put them to use in a great quilt. I'm with you in doing things at my speed. I hope your holidays are filled with joy.

Julierose said...

I am in love with those old hourglass fabrics--so neat!!
Yes, Christmas at our ages (80 and 84) is much less stressful here. Back to basics I say...
hugs, and Merry Christmas and a healthy New Year to you and yours...Julierose

Nann said...

What a fortuitous discovery! It's great to discover units you can use, right there in your "parts department." Kids' Christmas pageants are wonderful.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Judy, it sounds like you've got the Christmas holidays under control by giving up the control - good for you! Now that I've finished my niece's t-shirt quilt, I can now start thinking of Christmas, finishing up the shopping and reading a few good books! Yeah! Merry Christmas!