Pages

Monday, October 1, 2018

Design Wall Monday - October 1, 2018


It was so good to be back to quilting, and I made hanging sleeves and quilt labels for seven doll quilts that will be in a quilt show in Virginia next spring.  I am going to Virginia later this month, and want to leave them with the Churn Dasher's Group when I meet with them.


Two of the quilts are from Lori Dejarnett's blog quilt-a-longs.  Her blog (Humblequilts.blogspot.com) is having another doll quilt group project coming up this week.  I think the first part of the instructions come out this Wednesday.  I am planning to participate, it's always fun.

This one below was a quilt she called "Mid-Winter Blues".  I renamed it "Raggedy Ann's Doll Quilt", as it looks great with my Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls.  It's 20.5 inches by 20.5 inches square.






The next one is also from her blog, and she named it "Abundance".  I also kept that name for it.  It is 10.5 inches by 10.5 inches.



Last week started off Monday evening with Miss Penny going to the emergency room, but the issue was resolved quickly.  It was a bad ear infection and possibly also an allergic reaction to something, but she's all better now.  The only sign that she had some trauma is the two shaved patches on her ears (her ears were swollen up, and they had to be drained).  She is as good as new now, though.  She's on benadryl for a little while longer, and ear drops for the ear infection.  Nothing phases a labrador!  She is 47 pounds now, and still growing.


But back to quilts:   Here are three pictures showing all seven quilts on my coffee table (my design wall today):




The hanging sleeves are four inches deep, and must be the width of the quilt.  The labels are made on my computer printer.  I first cut fabric and freezer paper to the size of a piece of computer paper (8.5 by 11).  I then iron them together, and sew a line of stitching near the top of the 8.5 end.  The line of stitching keeps the two pieces together while they are feeding through the printer.  I only feed one through the printer at a time, to keep from having printer problems.

I use Microsoft Word software and prepare the label info, choosing a font that I like.  These were printed two per 8.5 by 11 sheet, and after coming out of the printer, I iron them again.  I cut off the line of stitching that is holding the freezer paper to the fabric, and then pull the freezer paper off.  The fabric labels are then cut to size and stitched to the back of the doll quilts, easy peasy.

Here are two of the labels shown up close:





What are you working on this week?  Please show us what's on your Design Wall.  The only request I have is that you refer back to this particular blog post somewhere within your blog post.  Thanks for joining in!



8 comments:

Kate said...

Glad Miss Penny is doing much better. Emergency vet visits aren't fun for anyone. You've got a very nice collection of doll quilts for the quilt show.

Meloney said...

Love your little quilts. Those are some tiny HST. Wow, I'm impressed.

Julie said...

Those are great doll quilts. I like doing labels on the computer.

Sara said...

So glad your fur baby is doing well. She is a beautiful dog.

Those are lovely doll quilts. I can picture each one wrapped around a favorite doll for some little one. And I've done quilt labels using that same technique.

Angie in SoCal said...

Those are darling little quilts!

Cherie said...

I'm glad Miss Penny is doing better. All of your quilts are lovely. Have fun on your trip to Virginia.

Quilter Kathy said...

Lovely quilts! I always enjoy Lori's sewalongs!

Lori said...

So fun to see the little quilts again.
Glad your pup is feeling better.