Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

34th Street (formerly known as Easy Peasy)

I'm continuing to sew blocks together on Bonnie's East Street Mystery quilt.  I had a suggestion from Janet (Rogue Quilter), to name it "34th Street".  She had me at hello, as they say, and I loved the idea.  So I have changed the quilt name to "34th Street".  Miracle on 34th Street is, after all, the best Christmas movie ever, and this is definitely a Christmas quilt.  It's also quite a miracle that so many quilters all over the world are sewing patches together on Bonnie's mystery quilts.  Thank you Bonnie, for all you do for us.  You are a blessing!  Bonnie Hunter's Blog  

Several friends have asked me to explain how Bonnie's units are used in 34th Street, so I am explaining what the changes are.

The biggest change is to eliminate the on-point setting, and skip Bonnie's Step 7.  For the rest of the changes, here's how:

Square "A"

There are 13 of these squares, which I have named square "A".   If you study this picture, you will see that in it, there are five of Bonnie’s units across, and five down. So you could do the math, and multiply 13 times each one of the units, to find out how many of Bonnie’s units to make, to get you to 13 of these larger squares. For instance, the four patches are used 8 times, so 13X8 = 104 four patches needed.
Square "B"

There are 12 of these squares in the quilt. So, for the four patches units, the math would be 4 x 12, or 48 four patche units used. The only change I made to a different unit is the 3.5 in (3 inch finished size) half square triangles. I had solid white 3.5 inch squares per Bonnie’s instructions, and I wanted less white, so I changed them into half green and half white. There are eight of these in this square.  so I took 8 x 12, or 96 white units, and made them into half square triangles.  

The large squares finish at 15 inches, and are assembled as alternating squares in five rows, as follows:

A B A B A
B A B A B
A B A B A
B A B A B
A B A B A

It will be 75 inches by 75 inches before any border.  Have fun if you decide to use this design.  I am loving all the Easy Streets!

Judy



3 comments:

Gayle said...

Looks really good Judy - I like how you're changing it up to put your own slant on it. I have the four corner triangles pieced - one setting triangle - and one each of block A & block B. We got lots and LOTS of snow overnight so I'm not going anywhere today - think I'll get a lot of blocks pieced today!

berylthepearl said...

This is beautiful in reds and greens, I love it!

Janet O. said...

I am so smitten with this Christmas version. Wish now that I had been smart enough to make mine red and green. Maybe next mystery. : )