Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

Progress on the Cake Stand Quilt

The entire quilt is now on my design wall, and it fills the whole wall:




  I am using the streak of lightening setting which is used in this old quilt:


From book: New Jersey Quilts 1777 to 1950  

But I'm using the cake stand blocks that I have from a recent exchange.  For this quilt, I needed 110 blocks, and 10 half blocks, and the exchange gave me 72 blocks. Thirty five extra blocks were done factory assembly line style, and I felt like a factory worker.  I prefer to work on two blocks at a time, and complete them, pet them, admire them, and then start the next two.  But the assembly line process is definitely faster.  I took the old Singer 404 with me on the trip to visit my sister, and finished the blocks in the hotel room, a la Bonnie Hunter.

Three blocks in the sawtooth star vintage quilt have a yellow background, and I like the pop of color they give the quilt, so I made three cake stand blocks with yellow background:

Can you find them on my quilt on the design wall?


I had a wonderful time with my sister in Michigan this weekend, and she really likes the quilt I gave her.  It fits her bed perfectly.  


I'm heading over to Design Wall Mondays at Patchwork Times to see what other quilters are doing.  Join me?  (Here)

12 comments:

antique quilter said...

your basket quilt is going to be so beautiful, thanks for showing a few more blocks!
Happy that your sister loved her quilt, looks great!

Janet O. said...

Your cake stand quilt is glorious. I love that you put the splashes of yellow in there. I think that gives it depth and character. Nice job!

JoAnne said...

Wow! I think I love your version more than the antique one. I adore the splashes of yellow, too. Perfection!

Pat said...

Your quilt is so beautiful. Love your choices of fabrics.

Rebecca in AK said...

I love your Cake Stand quilt! The little bits of yellow add that bit of spark to it! Fabulous!

Val said...

Your quilt is lovely Judy, I especially like the setting. I think that I see some Dear Jane blocks with that setting in my future

Pam said...

Your quilt looks stunning Judy

Lori said...

I made a quilt like in the book after seeing the old one in a museum. It's wonderful colors and settings is perfect for your cake stand quilt!!

Jeanne said...

Love your cake stand quilt! That quilt has been on my 'to do' list for quite awhile. The yellow blocks do add a pop to the quilt. Nice work!

Taryn said...

Love that quilt! I am a two-blocks-at-a-time-then-pet kind of quilter, too. I am working on one with 1.5" nine patches. I will need thousands, I think, and I've made 4. I spend a lot of time waving them at my husband asking, "aren't these so cuuuuute??"

Ruth said...

I love it! Someday I would love to make one with either churn dash blocks or sawtooth block stars.

marian said...

WOW it looks awesome and I love the snippets of yellow :)) cheers... Marian