Pages

Monday, July 22, 2019

Design Wall Monday - July 22, 2019

The last seam was sewn on the Broken Dishes Quilt, and this week I will take it to the longarm quilter.  Yeah!

I have another quilt I'm working on this week - one with exchanged blocks - from other quilters in the Churn Dashers group.  We are each making a replica of a vintage quilt.  Pictured below are the exchanged blocks that I have added the red triangles to.  It is shown on my "design wall bed" with the completed Broken Dishes Quilt underneath it.  I have 9 more blocks to add the red triangles to, and 3 more blocks to make from scratch....to get to the 42 blocks that I need for the quilt.





Here is a picture of the vintage quilt that we are using as inspiration:



I really like the old quilt, and hope mine looks similar.  This quilt will be in the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival in Newport News, VA in 2020.  Today and tomorrow, I will be adding sashing to the blocks, and will show you a picture next week of my progress.

What do you have to show me?  I am looking forward to seeing your design wall.  And no, you don't have to have a design wall.  As you can see, when I am at the cabin, it is a bed!  You know the drill, please refer back to this particular blog post from somewhere within your post that you publish today.  Thanks!



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

13 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm looking forward to see broken dishes for real this fall. I love the new quilt you're working on, so pretty! Have a great week and happy stitching!

Julierose said...

Yours looks very similar--I love those extra wide borders...a lot of triangulation going on lol--beautiful work hugs, Julierose

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

These blocks are so pretty with the red such a stand out colour!

Quilter Kathy said...

That is a lovely vintage quilt you are replicating! I really like how the blocks look different depending on the fabrics used, especially the fabrics in the 4 centre flying geese.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love these large quilts you have been making lately. Understand about showing your quilt on the bed - I do that when we travel in the motorhome or at home when the design wall is occupied another gets shown on the floor! We have to work with space we have

For the love of geese said...

Today I am sharing my vintage quilts. I love your new project.

AnnieO said...

Congratulations on getting the Broken Dishes top completed. Soon it will become a Real Quilt :) Love the new/old project.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You make the best quilts! That one is amazing!!

Rebecca Grace said...

Your vintage repro looks beautiful, Judi!

Sara said...

Your exchange blocks are just stunning with the red triangles added.

Preeti said...

Judy, your quilt is a definite improvement over the original inspiration. I am sure it will become a spectacular finish!!!

QuiltGranma said...

I too think your quilt will be stunning when finished. And thanks for the idea of setting the blocks on point for exchanged blocks... that can help hide a multitude of errors by the makers. I have at least one quilt I think I can do that to to, help make it more presentable. Some vary by nearly an inch, don't think I can make them all look lovely, but well, it will be loved!

Kate said...

Congrats on having broken dishes ready for long arming. It always feels so good to get to that point. Very pretty blocks in your new project, love those red setting triangles.