Pages

Monday, September 22, 2014

Planning the Quilt Room in Michigan

We are busy little beavers, cleaning and polishing everything in the VA house, getting ready to put it on the market.  Boy does this home look great!  We may keep it!

While working on the VA home, my mind is thinking about the new quilt room in Michigan, and what I am going to put in it.  This three piece old kitchen cabinet has been in our screened porch, and is my only "antique".  It's outside on the deck today, while the screened porch floor is getting stained.  Here is the middle section:



Another picture of the middle section with the porcelain drop down section open:


I think it will go into my new quilt room, to store fabric.  The drop down work area will be a great help when auditioning fabrics, don't you think?

There are two companion cabinets that go with it, one for each side of the main cabinet:


Here's the label on the back:



My husband was born in Stanton, Michigan, and the cabinet was in a house in that small town that his mother bought from the French family.  I liked the cabinets, and my dear mother-in-law gave them to me.  They are the start of my new quilt room design.

Here's a small doll quilt that I'm working on this week.  It was inspired by a blog post that I saw (Here).  The little corners are just snippets of orange that I had left over, and aren't any special size.  It's 14" by 14" right now.  Most of my fabric is packed away, and the black and little bits of orange were the only things here.




I cleaned out the attic space where we store our holiday decorations, and found these two noisemakers to show you today.  Do any of you remember using them?  We used to shake these noisy metal things as we were coming up the sidewalk, and the homeowners would come out to meet us when they heard the racket!

We would yell "Trick or Treat!", but would never even dream of "trick" - didn't even know what that meant, really.  Hope you are having a great September.  I am checking on Design Wall Mondays, as usual, to see what others are doing.  (Here)






8 comments:

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

We are excited with you! I don't much care for the packing and toting part but I love putting things away in the new home and seeing everything I love with new eyes in new rooms and on new walls.

Terri said...

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. All my "clutter" is packed up - ready to move. We are just waiting for our buyer's house to sell and then we can buy... been packed up for a year. Doll quilt is just right for Halloween.
Hugs

Anonymous said...

I love your vintage cabinets! They will be perfect in a sewing room. I have three vintage enamel top tables that I us in mine. I would snap cabinets up like these in a heartbeat if I saw them. Now I gave something to hung for! Your little quilt top is darling also.

Quilting Stories said...

Hi Judy! Your little quilt is just adorable with its Halloween colors, and I love the small toys on it.

Ruth said...

The cabinet will be perfect for your new sewing room! I'm on the unpacking side as we just moved and things are finally getting somewhat organized. I hope to have my sewing room finished soon and will show pictures of it then. Your little quilt is adorable! I used to have some of that same orange fabric, but I think I used it all up. Taking a little time to sew really helps the sanity, doesn't it? I have been doing more sewing lately, and can't wait until I get my design wall up and can tackle something bigger!

Karen said...

I am jealous! I want one of those cabinets for my sewing room. I don't know where I would put it so I have to just enjoy viewing yours.

Jeanne said...

I'm excited to see your new sewing room in Michigan! Love your little quilt!

Carol Sc said...

Where in Michigan are you moving? We drive through Stanton on our way to our cottage.