Pages

Friday, July 22, 2016

Summer Time....And The Living Is Easy.....

Please forgive me for not posting lately.....life is just flying by, and I have been quilting, but not posting about it.

Here is a picture of a quilt top that I recently finished.  It's made of 9 inch squares, from an Ohio Star block exchange, and is 81 x 81 inches.  It's in the queue at my machine quilter, to be finished before the end of the year.  Sorry about the blurry picture.  I had to stand on a chair to get the whole quilt in the picture, and apparently, I'm not too steady handed anymore.  You get the idea anyway.



Close-up of the quilt:



I also made a little doll quilt by cutting down five of the 9 inch squares to 6 inches, and the doll quilt will finish at about 21 inches square.




I'm working on the 365challenge.com.au project, and new blocks come out daily.....but my life doesn't allow me to make a block every day, so I'm getting behind.  I still enjoy making the blocks, and I will eventually catch up.  Here's a block I have prepped to take to the sewing machine:












The finished block will be six inches square, and if I counted the separate pieces of fabric in this block, the answer would be 109 pieces, but of course, I am not going to count them separately... that would be crazy!   The fun with these blocks is measuring them when they are all sewed together, to see if they each measure 6.5 X 6.5 inches (unfinished size).  Then I know my 1/4 inch seam allowance is the correct size.  It's like solving a puzzle.........figuring out where the measurements are not coming out quite right, and they often don't.   This one is using little bits of leftover fabrics from other blocks, and was fun to plan out.

There is a ledge high up outside my office window, and while I sit at my desk, I can see a nest built on the ledge, under the shelter of the porch roof, protected from the rain.  It's a good spot, because not only was there a finch nest there this spring, now a robin has built another nest on top of the old finch nest, and the baby robins have just hatched.  Lots of feeding trips to the nest for the parents today.  Makes me glad my little ones are all grown up and have left the nest!







3 comments:

MaryC said...

I love the 'look' of the 365 quilt...but....all those tiny pieces discourage me...and so many thick seams to quilt through after it's done. I gave up on it. :-/ sigh. I like your colors! I LOVE the stars 'n stripes! :-)

Leah Rubin said...

So glad to see what you've done! I love the use of the stripes in the Ohio Star quilt, too! As always, your sense of color is fantastic. xooxox

Phyllis said...

Love those Ohio Stars! That will be a great quilt! Also the dollquilt will be great. And I admire you taking on the 365 challenge... personally, I would not like the pressure of a block a day.