Pages

Monday, October 3, 2016

What's Happening in October

First, here's a little doll quilt I just finished.  It's a project for the retreat that I go to in Shipshewana every fall.  The ladies at our table challenged each of us to make a little quilt using any nine of the Jane Stickle squares in it.  Jane Stickle squares are 4.5 inches, but they wanted the little squares to be 3 inches or smaller.  I made my nine squares to finish at 2 inches, but the quilt looked very small with only nine squares, and I didn't want to make any more - 2 inches is tiny!

So, I used some half-square triangles that I had to enlarge the quilt a little bit, and added pink and brown 1 inch hst's around the edge.  It is machine quilted very simply and last night I put the binding on it.



The quilt measures 12.5 inches by 12.5 inches.  I am looking forward to seeing the other ladies little quilts when we meet in November.

Secondly, I've been keeping up with the 365 Challenge of either 3 inch or 6 inch blocks.  The blocks have been mostly 3 inch blocks, and yesterday's block was one with mitered corners.  Ugh, I always have trouble with mitered corners.  I cheated and used hst's instead, and it went together very easily.  Here's a picture to show you what I mean:




























I drew lines through the picture to show me how to convert it from mitered corners block to a simpler block using half square triangles.  I also used a small print fabric so the seams didn't show very much.

After 9 months of making blocks every day, I look for the easiest way to make them.  

Thirdly, I made binding, and am sewing it on a picnic table sized quilt that I made. The quilt is made from left over pieces from an aborted mystery quilt project from two years ago.  I started Bonnie Hunter's "Grand Illusion" and became disillusioned with my quilt.  The pieces and parts were made into four quilts.  This is one of them:














The quilt is about 55 inches square, and I have another one just like it.  I intend to use them as picnic table covers at the cabin.  I enjoy hand binding, and it will be relaxing work in the evenings this week.  What are you working on?


As usual, I'm linking up with Design Wall Mondays (Here)









5 comments:

Karen said...

Your little pink doll quilt is sweet as can be. I love the old looking pinks.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Mine is 4 different wall quilts too, love them. Am doing them as 2 quilts doubled sided. Am quilting the 2nd now. Great work on those 2"ers

Theresa Morgan said...

I have to agree with Karen. Those pinks are delicious! Makes it look like it came out of an old chest,in an attic, in a Victorian home...:)

LuAnn said...

Your little challenge quilt is cute. I'll see you in a few weeks. Hope all is well with you.

SheilaS said...

I love your ideas AND your mini quilts! Thanks for sharing.