Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Large, Medium, Small, I Love Them All

Several quilty projects going on this week:

Large quilt is taped to the floor, and I'm fastening safety pins all over it this morning, in preparation for machine quilting "Third Weekend in October".  It's a colorful fall quilt, and I want it finished before fall is over.


Medium quilt, or that is, medium stage right now, is the Barbara Brackman block of the week project, which is on my design wall:


This week's block is Alice's Flag, the block in the upper right corner.  My mother's name is Alice, and I miss her a lot.  I have a small pearl leaf pin that was hers.  After making the square, I thought of it, and pinned it in the middle of the star.  She was a strong woman, just like the many women Barbara Brackman writes about in her blog about the suffragette movement. 

To read more: http://grandmotherschoice.blogspot.com

Here's a closeup of the beautiful pin that Mom wore often.  I think Dad brought it to her from France or Italy when he was in WWII.



Small is a little doll quilt with a log cabin pattern, Straight Furrows.  It's a quiltalong from http://humblequilts.blogspot.com  Yesterday I decided to make the blocks a little smaller than Lori's version, and my squares have five red pieces marching up the middle.  


The top, unfinished, measures 15.5 by 19.5, and I don't want to make it much bigger. I have a piece of red plaid that I'd like to use as the backing, and may or may not add a little as a border on the front.  What do you think?

Happy Monday to you!




11 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

What a beautiful pin. I miss my mother too, she is in end stage alzheimers and is only in this world in body.

Love the third weekend quilt. I have long wanted to make that one myself!

glen

antique quilter said...

boy you have been busy !!!! love all the projects and your finished little quilt is adorable, love that red!
I like the plaid for the border...
LOVe the leaf quilt, oh it is just so beautiful
Kathie

cspoonquilt said...

Good Monday Morning!- love yourleaf quilt! The bits of blue/ sky are a nice touch. I've always admire this pattern but never worked up the nerve to try it. And the block with your mom's pin is so sweet! I like the plaid border for your sew-along quilt. Very cute! cheers, Claire W.

berylthepearl said...

I have a pin exactly like that with my name on it, I think I got it when 8 or 9 years old. Your blocks are lovely! love the colors!

Barb said...

wow!!
I really like your maple leaf quilt. It is different from most that I've seen - great colors!!
great blocks!!! wonderful color combination.
Lori's quilt along quilt looks great - you got that done fast!!

Kindred Quilts said...

First of all, I love your button quilt in the header! WOW! Your leaf quilt is really gorgeous. I'm stuck on the cheddar and black blocks... my kind of colors and prints. Your Mom's pin is a great addition. Straight Furrows is on my to do list... I like the small size you opted for. And since you asked, I'm thinking no border, just back and bind!

Denise :) said...

Oh my goodness, your "Third Weekend in October" is gorgeous -- and very aptly named, too!!! :)

Lori said...

Love your small, medium and large quilts!! My friend made that leaf quilt so I know that is a labor of love.
Your mom's pin is very special.
I like the plaid border, but I'd probably like it without one too!

Leah Rubin said...

All fabulous! Keep the plaid borders-- just perfect, and cheers to your mother, Alice, and mine: Millie! I have a similar pin that came from a visit to Baltimore, but still, it says Millie, so...

You continue to inspire me! Gorgeous work comes from your wonderful heart!

Jeanne said...

I love the look of the plaid! Cute! Cute! Cute!

June said...

Especially love the leaf quilt!! My Mother had a leaf pin like that and it said "Steva". I wonder what happened to it? She had Alzheimers and has been with the Lord since 1993.