Pages

Monday, March 30, 2015

My Day Lily Quilt is Finished!

This quilt was one of the first quilts I started, and has been a quilt top for a long time.  First I was going to hand quilt it, then I was going to machine quilt it, and this year I sent it out to be quilted, and I am very happy with the results.  My friend Joyce Brenner quilted it.

The pattern is in a book that I have, but all of my books are packed away while we are in transition from Virginia to Grand Rapids, so I can't give you the designer right now.  When I get my books unpacked, I will look it up and tell you.  But I finished the binding while we were watching more basketball games this weekend.   By some sort of miracle, our Michigan State basketball team is going to the Final Four.  We are so happy for them.

But enough fussing about other things!  On to the pictures!  This is the basic block, and I'm not sure what the flower is - I call it a Day Lily. 



 I turned the edge of the fabrics under and appliqued them down with thread, and then also used embroidery floss to buttonhole stitch around the leaves and flowers.  The blossoms and stems are with outline stitches and French knots.  I loved working on it, and love the colors - so cheerful looking.  DMC floss, three strands.  It is one of the first quilts I attempted and I am so happy that it is completed!



Joyce's quilting in a closeup:  She did a great job!



It's Monday and I'm going over to Judy Laquidara's blog to see what other quilter's have on their design wall.  (Here)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! I love the retro feel of it. You've done a marvelous job! Well done!

~Kris~ said...

Your quilt is just lovely. The embroidery makes it all work together so well. The quilter did a wonderful job too! Thanks for sharing.

Mary Ellen said...

You are right to be proud. This turned out lovely!

Debra @ Life is a Stitch said...

I LOVE it Judy!! The colors, the flowers, the applique, the stitching and embroidery, and the quilting!!! It makes me want to go back and look at it again and again!
What a great finish, and can't believe that it was one of your firsts. I'd love to see it in person! Thanks for sharing.

Every Stitch said...

So beautiful! the quilting is lovely - has the vintage look of hand quilting and complements the design perfectly:)

Marti said...

I LOVE it! The pattern is lovely and you are right, the quilting is so pretty too.

Rebecca in AK said...

A very lovely quilt!! You did a beautiful job on the applique! The quilting is just perfect for it. Congratulations on a wonderful finish!

Pam said...

beautiful quilt

Karen said...

I don't know what flower it is either but they have made a lovely quilt. The quilting is beautiful.

McQuilt said...

Such fine handwork and wonderful quilting.

Unknown said...

Amazingly beautiful! Destined to be a family heirloom.

Lakegaldonna said...

Oh Judy, the day lily quilt is so lovely and now it's done! Your quilter friend did a nice job in keeping with the feel of it.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Simply beautiful!