Pages

Monday, November 7, 2022

Design Wall Monday - November 7, 2022

Good Morning Quilters!

Today I am packing up and heading to a week away with other quilters.  It is so exciting seeing old friends and getting caught up on their lives again.  I have packed UFOs that don’t require a lot of brain power on my part, as I want to enjoy the other quilters and not think about a complicated pattern.

Two UFOs coming with me are fall themed.  Maybe I will get them finished to enjoy during Thanksgiving.  One is a maple leaf block with a black background behind the leaves.  It came with me last fall on this retreat, and moved further toward the finish line.  This year I am sure I will get all of the blocks made and assembled into a quilt top.



The second project is smaller and combines some embroidered blocks and some fall colors in nine patches.  It is a pattern that was in a magazine many years ago and someone from the St. Louis MO guild gave it to me, with a piece of fabric for the outer borders.  It has been a UFO of mine for at least 25 years!  This last week I started on it, and am looking forward to finishing this UFO too.  Here’s a picture of the 16 embroidered blocks, in progress:


The written instructions are to use three strands of embroidery floss, and I usually use two.  I am using three, and following directions like a good girl.  It does give the embroidery a different look than I am used to. 

Since the magazine page copy I have is undated, I wondered when it was published.  On a whim, I looked up the name of the quilt designer on the internet.  I found her and we had a nice conversation on the internet.   When I asked if it was her pattern, she said “Possibly, It must be pretty old”.  I told her I’d had the pattern for a very long time, and that I was old too.  haha.  She said “Wow, I had forgotten that one!  Yep that was me.”   I told her I would send her a picture of my project when it is complete.  The internet is a marvelous thing sometimes.  

I will give you an update next week after the retreat is over, and show you how far I got with these two projects.  What have you started, or finished, or moved along toward finishing?  I’m looking forward to seeing your pictures and reading your blogs.  Thank you for joining in the Design Wall Monday Linky Party.  You are appreciated.



 







You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

9 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

It feels so good to finish a long time UFQ! I hope you are able to finish both of your projects this week. See you Wednesday!

Kate said...

Enjoy the retreat! You've got some fun projects to work on. Enjoy the company and hoping you make lots of progress on your UFOs.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have fun at your retreat - an easy project or two to take along sounds good I would find it hard to concentrate on some thing hard when a lot of people are around talking

Quilter Kathy said...

How wonderful to connect with the pattern designer!
Enjoy your retreat!

Michelle said...

How amazing that you connected with the creator of your embroidery pattern! The two projects you are taking to the retreat are beautiful. Have fun!

maggie fellow said...

your ufos never go out of style - have fun

Sara said...

Enjoy that retreat with friends! How fun that you could connect with a pattern designer for that project.

Bonnie said...

Your Maple Leaf blocks look terrific. I recently broke down and bought the Accuquilt die for an 8" maple leaf. I'm looking forward to trying it. This one gives me a wonderful concept to use a dark background with the colored leaves. Thanks.

Carol Andrews said...

Have fun at your retreat.