Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Back Home in Virginia

Back from Michigan and working on catching up.  I am doing Barbara Brackman's block of the week and am playing catch-up, as I was separated from my stash when it started.

Here are the first three week's blocks on my design wall:


Barbara Brackman has an interesting blog with a great story each week about the women's suffragette movement, and also directions to make an 8 inch block.
It's here:  http://grandmotherschoice.blogspot.com

The block for week 4 is out of my comfort zone, but I enjoy a challenge.  Here's my beginning of it:



 As you can see, this quilt will be a feast of cheddar fabrics!

I've also been practicing my machine quilting of feathers.  I'd like to put little feathered wreaths in the white squares of the indigo and white doll quilt, as I've marked it:



Wouldn't that look great on here?




Some practice feathered wreaths are shown below, but they still need to be a little smaller than these.  



Between working on the above projects, I'm tackling the weeds in my garden beds.  Imagine me in a pith helmet with a knife the size of Crocodile Dundee's.  I am ruthlessly attacking the weeds, and feel I am rescuing the little garden plants that have been fighting against the weeds all summer by themselves while I've been gone.


5 comments:

Cathy Tomm said...

Great start on the BB block of the week, I am worrying about block 4 too. I might do some tonight or Tue on it.

Lynn Dykstra said...

A delightful blog--you have a talent for getting scale right.
Have you written about your postage stamp with buttons?
I love it.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Wonderful start on your blocks...Great quilting on your feathered wreaths...

Weeds will be done soon..hopefully. We don't have to worry about them till next spring!

Welcome back home!

Carolyn :)

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

For tiny feather wreaths you might try a sample using silk or some other 80-100 weight thread often seen used in micro-stippling on big quilts? If you don't have any silk thread I can send you a bobbin full of white to play with?

Jeanne said...

Love the new fall colored blocks from BB. The wreaths would look terrific in the white squares! Have fun!