Pages

Monday, June 14, 2021

Design Wall Monday - June 14, 2021

Good Morning Quilters!  This week was not very productive for me because I was caring for my sister.  She is doing much better, and I came back home on Wednesday.  So Saturday, I had a dedicated quilting day and got the courage to work on another UFO that has been here for a long time.  I looked back on my blog, and the last time I talked about this quilt was Sept., 2019.  (Here)

My friend, Joan Brink, came over with her sewing machine, and we both machine quilted on our own projects.  I am not very adept at machine quilting, but had this UFO set aside to try it on for quite a while.  My red apple core charm quilt has been basted together waiting for me to try domestic sewing machine quilting.  I finally read more about it, and gave it a try.

I read and "youtubed" about settings, feet, feed dogs, and "super slider" mats.  I googled how to make your own super slider type surface, and used contact paper.  I cut a large piece of contact paper, and removed the backing from only the edge of it on the left and right edge.  Then stuck it down, and cut a hole in the middle for the sewing machine needle.  It worked just fine, and I was able to remove it to change a bobbin.

I ended up trying one of my Janome machine quilting feet, and kept the feed dogs up.  I went slowly, and used a stitch setting of 2.2.  It actually was fun.

Here is my UFO, which I plan to name "Red Delicious" because it's red and an apple core pattern.  It was started long ago by a friend, Joan Edwards, and she sent it to me to add more squares and make it larger.  I increased it to 1,000 squares (I think a little more) and then it sat as a UFO for a very long time.  Until this week - Finishing is finally happening!



I followed the curves across the quilt from one edge to another in only one direction, and am now deciding if I should/could stop, or should I quilt the curves in the other direction.  What do you think?


I think I know the answer - I should quilt it more by quilting the curves in the other direction.  But I wish I was finished.  But, on the positive side, it will be more practice on my machine quilting, won't it?

What are you working on?  I so enjoy looking at the pictures you show us and reading about what you are creating.  Keep up the good work!  Please link to the Design Wall Monday party and don't forget to mention Design Wall Mondays in your blog post.  Also, a link back to this particular blog post is required.  Thanks!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I don't enjoy machine quilting that much but I do it because it needs to be done! I'm always so relieved when I finish and I'm always thrilled that I actually accomplished machine quilting. You will be so much happier with Red Delicious if you stitch the apple cores the other direction, otherwise you will always regret not doing so. Hope you get more sewing in this week, happy stitching!

darquilter said...

I remember that quilt Judy! I am happy to see it will be finished soon.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow, so coloricious!! I agree with your conscience--quilt it the other way, too. You'll be glad you did. Interesting how you came up with your own home version of Super Slider!!! Thank you for hosting the quilt party!!!

Sara said...

I'm glad to hear your sister is improving. I like how your quilting is turning out, but agree that maybe adding the quilting in the other direction might be a good choice. Looking good so far!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh you will not like my answer - but yes, you should go the other way too - it will just make that batting more stable and give you a lot longer life on this one ;-) BUT! For every row you quilt.... you get a piece of chocolate... that will make it better right??? haha

Quilter Kathy said...

What a fun project! I enjoy machine quilting so I would definitely stitch in the other direction just for the enjoyment :)

AnnieO said...

Lots of great reds in the quilt! You might quilt the other direction but skip every other row to make the finish faster. That would be plenty of quilting to hold it together. Glad your sister has you to help.

Bonnie said...

Things to consider whether you stitch the other way on the apple cores. Did you pin baste it really well? And leave the pins in that you didn't need to remove. My concern is when you go the other way you will be stitching over existing stitching lines. If the quilt sandwich wasn't tightly basted you might have folds at the seam lines. Second thought is what did the batting say about how close together you have to quilt it? If it is small 3 to 4" then you are going to have to do that. If the number is bigger you might be able to get away with not quilting anymore. I think it would look great quilted both ways but really, it's up to you or the batt you chose. I'm with Alycia -- chocolate at the end of each row! Good luck.

Pam said...

Great quilt Judy

Carol Andrews said...

Judy I do think adding the quilting in the other direction will make those apple cores pop. It’s such a nice, bright quilt and will be a beautiful finish.

Celine said...

I am UFO busting too, such a nice feeling. Your quilt looks delicious!