Pages

Monday, November 29, 2021

Design Wall Monday - November 29, 2021

Good Morning Quilters! 

While at the quilt retreat in Shipshewana, I completed making my Cynthia England pattern (picture piecing method) sewing machine project into a sewing machine cover for my sewing room.  


The original blog post about this project is here (Post from a year ago)

It went together easily.  I used one long rectangle piece of fabric, and two narrower rectangle end pieces that were curved at the top.  I mainly thought of a "mailbox shape" when I cut the pieces.  I drew a grid with a pencil of 45 degree angled lines, 2.5 inches apart on the muslin lining.  I put batting between the outside and inside layers of muslin and quilted it on the machine, all except behind the picture, using a quilting foot.  With the Cynthia England sewing machine picture to the front side, and all other sides quilted, I assembled it with the seams to the outside.  Then I cut a piece of plaid fabric on the bias and made binding and sewed it by machine (and again by hand) just like the edge of a quilt - to cover all the raw edges of the seams.  Binding around each end curved piece, and binding around the complete project on the bottom edge.  The binding was full with the batting layer included in it, and it looks just like piping on the finished project.  It went together easy-peasy.  Below are more pictures of the finished sewing machine cover:

Picture of it on my cutting mat, so you can see the inside:


On the machine, but I took this picture Sunday night, and in evening light:


And one last picture of the back side of it, on the machine:


This week we have been eating turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, apple pie, and enjoying all leftovers from our family's Thanksgiving Day celebration.  The feast is good for the whole weekend.

I made three pies, as I usually do, because my DH's favorite is apple, and I want to make an apple pie for him, and two pumpkin pies because it is an easy tradition to make two, since my crust recipe makes two crusts, and the recipe on the large can of pumpkin makes two pies.  Some of the pie went home with guests, and I think there are only two pieces of pumpkin pie left for our dinner tonight.   The apple pie was gone by Saturday.  


What have you been sewing this week?  What is on your design wall?  Please join in with our Design Wall Linky Party below and tell us all about it.  Thanks to all of you who mention Design Wall Mondays on your blog post, and also provide a link back to this post.  I am thankful for you.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

15 comments:

Kim said...

How beautiful your sewing machine cover is. My goodness, you did a wonderful job in paper piecing all those pieces together. The sewing machine, the little quilt and the trees and blue sky outside the window look fabulous. Why, the sewing machine looks so realistic. A most gorgeous finish!

Julierose said...

Gorgeous work on that machine cover--I love the little quilt laying under the machine...hugs, Julierose

Gretchen Weaver said...

Making a Thanksgiving feast is a lot of work but then we don't have to cook for days! I need to make a cover for my sewing machine also, someday! Happy stitching!

Julie in GA said...

What a great way to use your Cynthia England piece. It looks fantastic!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Your finished sewing machine cover is absolutely fabulous!!! And love the triple pie stand!!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

what a great sewing machine cover!!!
And those pies..... yummmmm

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we made too many pies and were eating pie for several days before I some of it went in the freezer, it sounds like you had a good time at the retreat - did many come this year I wonder. I have thought of going different times but never do as I have no companion to go with and that kind of thing is better with a friend along.

Bonnie said...

I love your sewing machine cover. You make it look so easy too. Maybe I’ll figure one out for me one day. I like the idea that used simple muslin for the inside and outside. The Cynthia England piece is gorgeous.

Sara said...

Your pies appear to be a work of art. Yum! We have no leftovers as we were guests at 2 dinners, which is OK. I took dishes to both but said "no" to leftovers as my hubbie doesn't care for turkey much. LOL

Love that sewing machine cover. You did a great job!

AnnieO said...

What a unique and beautiful machine cover! Lots of love went toward its labor :)
We had a small Thanksgiving and wayyyy too much food leftover. My husband cooked three pies and there were only 6 of us. Luckily some went home with guests.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Mouth watering pies and an absolutely gorgeous sewing machine cover. My new machine should go to live with you! I think I spy Dear Jane blocks on that wall too.

Carol Andrews said...

Lovely cover and your pies look so yummy!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Judy, what a great sewing machine cover. I like the idea of the seams on the outside, covered with binding. It does look like piping and adds a lot to it. Congrats on your finish. It sounds like you had a good Thanksgiving. Take care.

gladiquilts said...

Oh my goodness! That must be the most wonderful sewing machine cover ever made!! I think covers with any actual piecing or appliqué must be rare and something this elaborate is one of a kind! Kudos to you!

Jennifer said...

Absolutely perfect sewing machine cover!