Pages

Monday, February 19, 2024

Design Wall Monday - February 19, 2024

 Good Morning Quilters!


The signature quilt that I showed you last week now has the flange sewed on, and also the final border.  Here is a picture:



A close-up of the flange:




I don’t know about loose flanges.  This one will sometimes lay toward the quilt side and sometimes twist and lay toward the border side, and I want it to always lay toward the border side.  I am going to hand sew the loose edge down onto the border.  So I guess once it is sewn down, it’s no longer a flange.  I now see why it would be better to have one that is not as wide.


Also, I finished up the rest of a block for the Cousin’s Walk bird quilt.  I appliquéd the bird’s eye and the flowers and their centers, which completed it.  It has been on the back burner for a while, and I’m glad I’m working on this project again.  Here is the completed block:


What’s on your design wall this week?  We are looking forward to seeing your blog posts and pictures.  Thank you all for participating in the Design Wall Monday Linky Party.  You are a blessing to me.  Join in below and please mention Design Wall Monday in your post.  


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

9 comments:

Kate said...

Congrats on getting the signature quilt all put together. Sorry the flange is giving you issues, I've only made one once many, many years ago. Not sure why that one isn't laying on the border.

Gretchen Weaver said...

A flange can really add some zing to a quilt but they can be tricky. I added a flange to a friend's table runner last week. Instead of stitching in the ditch on the flange along the side of the binding, I stitched on the edge of the binding. Hopefully the flange will stay flat. Will your quilt be quilted and ready for showing at show & tell? Happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a pretty quilt - I have only done one border that had the flange like that and mine was narrow

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

This is another beauty. I love the colours and fabrics very much. Wish I could help with that little issue, but have no clue about it.

Bonnie said...

I like the flange -- and darn it, it does make sense to stitch it down. Otherwise it might be a problem for your long armer. I can see the hopping foot flapping it whichever way it is going!

Rebecca Grace said...

Your bird appliqué is exquisite, Judy! The eye is just perfect. I’m with you on the quilt flange question. A loose flange can be a nice detail on a throw pillow or a drapery panel, but on a quilt that actually gets used it would bug me to have it moving around on the surface of the quilt. I think I’d stitch it down if it were my quilt, too. I prefer just doing a skinny border in a contrasting color for a similar effect. Either way, that quilt is gorgeous!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is so pretty! I love that flange - its a great pop of color!

Quilter Kathy said...

I also love the flange! Maybe the long arm quilter has a suggestion to get it to cooperate? Great job Judy!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Judy, I've never done a flange but it sure adds a lovely pop of colour to your quilt.