Pages

Monday, April 8, 2024

Design Wall Monday - April 8, 2024

 Good Morning Quilters!

This week I have been preparing for a week’s quilting retreat in Shipshewana, Indiana.  The special treat for me this time is that my daughter is flying in to go with me.  That is making it really special.

Getting ready involves making lists of what to take, changing my mind about what to take, and making more detailed lists.  We leave on Wednesday, after I pick her up at the airport.  My daughter does a lot of crocheting, but she may do some sewing, so I am taking two of my sewing machines.

This group of women often wear old fashioned aprons while they sew, so I washed and ironed all the aprons that I have inherited.  I am ready to be “stylin” in my pretty aprons.  Here’s a picture:


Five are made by my mother and I remember her wearing them all.  The one in the upper right was made by my younger sister in home economics class in probably 1963 or 1964.  It screams “made in the 60s” with the lovely purple and orange print!  I think it’s so ugly that it’s cute.  

Also this week I worked on a small gift for some of my friends at the retreat.  I found instructions on the internet for a small fabric bag that they can use to put supplies or scraps in while they are sewing.  The pattern is really easy and if anyone is interested, I can share the instructions with you another week.  I had fun choosing two coordinating fabrics to make each one.  Sometimes I couldn’t choose which fabric should be the liner vs. the outside.  See?


Here is a picture of ones I have made so far:


They are made with two outside pieces of fabric cut 10” by 12”,  to give you an idea of their size.  They are fun to make, and very easy.

What are you making this week?  I am looking forward to seeing your pictures and reading about them.  Thanks so much for faithfully linking up with our Design Wall Monday Linky Party.  You are appreciated.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

15 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

The apron I wear at retreat was made by a friend. The bags you made are very cute. See you in a few days, happy stitching!

Pam said...

The bags are so cute! I'd love to see how you made them!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love the purple & orange apron!!! And all the vintage aprons!!! So nice you can do the retreat with your daughter and bring another machine for her, too!

Bonnie said...

I remember making a basic apron in middle school. I never thought about keeping it. I still wear aprons as I am forevering getting "stuff" on my clothes when I cook. I like your little baskets. Very cute.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh my those aprons! I love them and what special memories for you, Judy. It will be a special time for sure to have your daughter with you. Enjoy every minute. I too love those adorable little bags. How clever you are!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have fun at your retreat

Sara said...

Have a wonderful week at the retreat along with your daughter. How special will that be! I hope you get some photos of both of you in the aprons. Both of my grandmothers wore aprons.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is so wonderful that you and your daughter get to go - and those aprons!!! Super cool!!!

LA Paylor said...

what a richness of aprons! I love an apron but forget to wear them

Nann said...

Oh, to have a week for quilt retreat! And how nice that your daughter can join you. Both the aprons and the gift "baskets" are charming. Have fun!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Judy, have fun on your retreat with your daughter! Love those aprons! I've made quite a few of those baskets - they are really great for gifts. Take care.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

I figured you'd be going to Shipshawana! We are finally going to make it this fall. I think Gayle Bomer's has something to do with that? I'm doing her Call Me Crazy BOW this year, too fun. Love to you both Rob and Sharyn

Kate said...

Sounds like you'll have a wonderful time at the retreat. Enjoy all the time with your daughter. Love the little bags, you've made some really cute fabric pairings in those.

Celine said...

A sewing retreat with your daughter sounds fabulous. I remember hearing about the Shipshewana about 20 years ago as being the Dear Jane retreat! I always dreamt of going. Your baskets look fabulous! Have fun

Marsha Cooper said...

A retreat for a whole week? what fun! and yes, extra special that your daughter is joining you. I have a retreat coming up April 23rd and 24th in town. I have yet to be able to travel out of town for a retreat, but hopefully one day.