Pages

Monday, August 12, 2024

Design Wall Monday - August 12, 2024

Goos Morning Quilters!

Today I am telling you the story of a sampler quilt that has been slogging along to the finish line…….but is finally getting a happy ending.

Remember the free internet patterns of “The Splendid Sampler” that Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson put out in 2016? Although I enjoyed making many of the 6 inch block, when it came time to put them together into a cohesive group, I struggled.  And struggled.  Here are pictures of my design wall trials from past blog posts:






This quilt confirmed my decision to quit making sampler quilts…..but I digress.

I did settle on something and sewed it together (again pics from previous blog posts):



So it progressed to a top.   And was sent to be quilted by a long armer.  Then it sat because it needed binding and I didn’t have any more of the green that I wanted to use for binding.  

A cousin visited us recently, that I don’t see very often, and I was showing her my quilt room and some of my finished quilts.  She saw this one in a heap in a corner, and really loved it!  Eureka!  A reason to get it finished and loved by someone.  I am binding it in white, and it will soon be sent to her.  I love happy endings.

Here isa picture of my binding progress this past week:





Do you have any happy endings this week?  Or happy starts?  Please tell us.  Join the Design Wall Monday Linky Party below and tell us your story.  Thanks to all who faithfully participate.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

maggie fellow said...

wonderful ending

Pam said...

I'm a "no sampler quilt" gal as well 😁

cityquilter grace said...

ah it was meant for her all along...worked out just right...

Gretchen Weaver said...

How awesome to be able to gift the quilt to a cousin who will love it! Hopefully I'll start some handwork this week so I'll be able to link up next week, happy stitching!

Bonnie said...

I love a good quilt story! And it's a win-win story. You get a quilt finished and your cousin gets a quilt she will love. I haven't made too many sampler quilts recently but I do like the idea of them.

Michelle Suzanne said...

Your sampler quilt turned out beautifully! But I understand sampler quilts are tricky for me as well and so I began shying away from them too. And it’s wonderful that your cousin is going to get this one.

Kate said...

Happy quilt endings are the best. I like my Rainbow Scrap Challenge sampler quilts, but not so much the other sampler quilts I've made, so I'm with you, probably not a lot of sampler quilts in my future.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh YAY!!! It will be loved and loved and loved - I struggle with settings sometimes to - but I really like what you finally chose!

Vicki in MN said...

I am not into samplers, however I do enjoy looking how others have done theirs. Nice that you are getting it finished and it can go live in your cousins home.

Sara said...

I'm so glad it will be loved by someone. I do love samplers but often struggle to come up with a layout for the ones with lots of small blocks. Yours is a beauty even though you don't care for it.

time4stitchn said...

I LOVE happy endings for quilts. I like your setting for your sampler quilt. I have made several especially the blockheads ones: only 2 are finished. But it really did turn out wonderful ! YEAH

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Judy, how lovely that your quilt has a happy ending! Now stay away from sampler quilts! LOL