Pages

Monday, August 5, 2024

Design Wall Monday - August 5, 2024

Good Morning Quilters!

The 3-in-1 Bowtie UFO box progress:

(1) I finished sewing all the creamy white backgrounds/vintage fabric bow ties into blocks, and am now deciding if I want to set them with an alternate square, or just sew them together as they are.  Thinking on this.  I saw a bowtie quilt with a dark alternate square that I liked….but am still undecided.

(2) My former skirt fabric and solid red bowtie blocks are all sewn together into a quilt top.  The blocks finish at 5 inches, and it is 9x9, so it is 45” by 45”.  

Here it is, on the left half of my design wall:


It will be sent out to my longarmer to be quilted.  

(3) The doll quilt top of vintage bowties has batting and a backing now with it, plus binding cut and pressed. I will be machine quilting it myself.  Hopefully this little cutie will be a finished doll quilt next week.  I forgot to take a picture of it yesterday.

So with these 3-in-1 bowtie UFOs progressing nicely, I pulled out another UFO!  This one is a baby quilt and the blocks were embroidered a long time ago by my friend Dee. She wasn’t happy with the quality of the white background fabric of this kit (I don’t know the original purchase info) and gave them to me to do something with.    She also thought they would look good with a “Twist ‘n Turn” setting that was from a book I had by that name, by Sharyn Squier Craig. 

So I read the book instructions, and made the frames for each block.  Here is my progress on this baby quilt which is on the right side of my design wall today:



Aren’t they cute?  Close-up pictures of two of them:



With the fabric “twist ‘n turn” frames, each block now measures 11 inches square before sewing them together.  So the baby quilt will be roughly 30” by 40” when finished.  I think I might put a satiny binding on it, as babies like that so much.  

What are you up to?  Please join our Design Wall Monday Linky Party.  It is so much fun to see what everyone is making.  Thanks for participating.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

The embroidered blocks are so cute. Love the block frame you chose. They make me want to dig for my box of embroidered blocks. Squirrel!

cityquilter grace said...

baby quilt adorable...sometimes 2 heads better than one...it'll be loved for sure

Kate said...

Oooh, the red and yellow bow ties made a wonderful quilt! Very vibrant. Those animal blocks are really sweet. Those will make a fun quilt for a little one. You definitely had a great week on the stitching front.

maggie fellow said...

great work on bowties - really like the embroidery blocks - sew cute

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Those embroidered blocks by Dee are adorable!!! What a great baby quilt they'll make!!!

Rebecca Grace said...

Congrats on finishing your bow tie skirt top, Judy! The Twist and Turn frames for those embroideries is just perfect; what a sweet baby quilt that will make.

Vicki in MN said...

The embroidery blocks reminded me of ones I did for a baby quilt for our first born. I like the twist and turn setting, making them even more fun.

Michelle Suzanne said...

Congrats on finishing the bow tie quilt! The baby quilt blocks are adorable! It’s going to be an amazing baby quilt.

Nann said...

Prestamped embroidery pieces are still being made and still being printed on poly-cotton. That's unfortunate, IMO. There are enough stitchers out there who would welcome quality all-cotton. But the embroidery on these is so well-done! And the baby won't mind at all. Sharyn Craig's Setting Solutions was in the stack of quilt books I perused this week. Once again I wanted to stitch up a bunch of random blocks just so I could try some of her setting ideas.

P.S. Love the strong graphics of the bowties.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Kind of like that bow tie as is - what a cool quilt!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Judy, those embroidered blocks are so cute, especially with the Twist and Turn borders. I'll have to remember that! Thanks so much for sharing and for the party. Take care.

Jennifer said...

Hi Judy! Way to go on all your bow tie blocks. I love the setting for the embroidered blocks, we had Sharon Craig visit our guild years ago and I forgot about that style, it’s fun for a panel or blocks like you have