Pages

Monday, July 6, 2020

Design Wall Monday, July 6, 2020

What a beautiful Fourth of July - I had a fantastic weekend, and I hope you did too.  Weather was great, a full moon over the campfire, just perfect.  Company is all gone home, and today is laundry day.  Mostly sheet sets and towels, and I dry the sheets outside on a clothesline.  Do any of you do that anymore?  I have good memories of my Mom whenever I am pinning the sheets to the clothesline. Here is a picture of her clothespin bag, which I now use:



She bought it at a bazaar, and it is so cute.  It is sturdy denim, and the circle hole with the red lining is where the clothespins are.  Here’s a closeup of the clothes on the line.  The little clothespins are machine stitched.



This week, I am concentrating on getting two chimney sweep block (also called album block) quilts closer to the finish line.  The Churn Dashers, the civil war repro group of which I’m a member, is getting details together for our group display in the Mid Atlantic Quilt Show scheduled for February 25-28, 2021.  My three quilts have to be finished (at least to a completed top stage) so I can turn in my info sheets for them, with the dimensions by August 1st.  One is a top now, the second is just blocks right now, and the third is in pieces, not yet into blocks.   I took a picture of one of the group of blocks last year, but I have changed my mind on the alternate pink squares idea.  




I am now using white sashing with pink cornerstones, and more pink fabric at the edges.  Picture next week.  What are you doing this first week of July?

Please link up and show us a picture, so we can go to your blog to read about it.       Thanks to all of you who provide a word or two about Design Wall Mondays on your blog, and also put a link in there to this post.  





You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

8 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

The album blocks look nice with the pink fabric. I can't visualize the new plan but I'm sure it will be lovely. I still hang sheets on the clothesline too. Nothing like going to bed having crisp fresh line dried sheets. I always think I sleep better those nights. We harvested wheat Saturday so today we start baling straw. Hopefully we'll be finished by Wednesday. Happy stitching!

Kate said...

That's a very cute laundry pin bag. Clothes lines are not allowed in our neighborhood, so it's been a very long time since I've dried clothes outside. Good luck with your album block quilts. Looking forward to seeing your new setting for the latest one.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I haven't dried things out on a line in years - I don't even have a line anymore! Allergist told me not to as my allergies to pollen things are bad - grasses, trees etc. I always liked sheets on the line though

Nann said...

When I was growing up we never had a clothesline. I realized years later that it was partly my mother's reaction to having grown up during the Depression and also because she used the yard as a flower garden, not an extension of the laundry room. It wasn't until I was an adult that we had a clothesline in a couple of our houses -- not this one, however. I still have the clothespins, but not a cute cloth holder like yours.

The pink setting fabric complements the album baskets very nicely!

chrisknits said...

Lovely blocks. Do you use the tops for demonstrations?

Denise said...

Your album blocks look great. I had to come to work this morning to rest after a busy weekend. Thank you for the linky party.

Helen said...

I also have a clothes pin bag. I purchased it online from a lady in Britain who made them (I'll use past tense as I don't have a link any more) It looks like a pink print dress with a white apron. So practical. And my 'pins' I bought at a museum in Germany. It was an outdoor museum where they had taken apart and brought to the location and reassembled historic buildings. (not government important but everyday houses and farms from the area). They opened some that were 'ready' for visitors, others you could walk around from the outside. All set in rolling hills with appropriate farm animals and such. On come days they had demonstrations of crafts and daily activities. I love those open-air museums. And my pin bag with hand crafted pegs. :)

Rebecca Grace said...

I love your clothes pin bag, Judy! I can't dry clothes on the line because there's a stupid rule against clothes lines in the bylaws of our homeowner's association. Also, if I had sheets hanging from a clothes line and blowing in the breeze in the back yard, there is no way my puppy could resist pulling them down! :-)