Pages

Monday, August 21, 2023

Design Wall Monday - August 21, 2023

Good Morning Quilters!

Progress is being made on the quilt on the design wall.  All columns done:


Next I have to trim the dog ears and sew the columns to each other.  18 long seams.  

Here are some current issues:

Pressing the blocks.  By pressing the seam toward the solid fabric triangles (solid meaning unpieced fabrics) leaves a lumpy center cluster of fabric that any long arm quilter will not like.   I do not want to press the whole seam open, as there is so much piecing in the little blocks and….also, it’s a pain to do.  I’m thinking I could clip the seam allowance a little bit on each side of the center, so the center could open up, and the two sides would lay flat as I want them to.  Another option is to spray the center with water and just smash it down with the iron.  Not a good solution, but it was a suggested solution.

What do you think would be best?

Here is what I’m talking about:



Second issue:

Extra pieced blocks.

There are nine columns of pieced blocks right now and each one has 23 blocks in it.  I thought I’d be using all the blocks that way, but no……there are 22 left.  Maybe they multiplied after I counted them.

Extras:


I could add 2 blocks to the end of each column and use 18 of them that way.  But that would add 8.5 inches to the length of the quilt, which is going to be 98 inches long without the extra 2 blocks.  Adding them would make the quilt 106.5 inches long.  It is queen size in width.  But this would be an easy solution.

Another solution would be to make a doll quilt with the extra 22 blocks.

I do have a name for this quilt now, thanks to Rebecca Grace.  

Last week Rebecca Grace (her blog is here) commented “I LOVE the project on your design wall!  Each little block is like a fabulous chocolate truffle in a Valentine box with the setting triangles separating them just like those little wrappers.”  So now the name will be “A Box of Chocolates.”




What is happening on your design wall?  Remember, it doesn’t have to be on an actual design wall - just show us what you are making. Please mention this blog and provide a link to this post so people can come back here to see what the rest of the participants are making.  Looking forward to your link ups to the Design Wall Monday Linky Party.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

looks fantastic...how about a pillow sham with the extras!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I suggest asking your quilter what her preference is for the bulky seams and do it her way. I would make a small quilt with the leftover blocks. I did that just last week! I thought I had counted how many blocks I had several times, there were 9 leftovers! Happy stitching!

searsportquilter said...

You could unpick a thread or two and fan the corner joins out at those intersections.

Kate said...

That's coming together so well. I would probably bite the bullet and press the seams open, but I tend to press as I prep for final quilting so it would just be part of my normal process. Love the name, it really fits the colors.

maggie fellow said...

I had the same problem with my circa 1880 quilt done the same way - I mashed it with the iron and then longarmed it my self LOL

Bonnie said...

Cool name. I think that is the hardest part of quilting -- naming a quilt! So many of my quilts go by the obvious pattern name or colors or the like. I need to up my game on quilt naming.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a perfect name for it!!!

terry said...

Regarding your seam pressing - I would clip, then open the clipped part to lay flat. If you have any Jo Morton books this method is illustrated for you to look at. Hope this helps.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow, what a great quilt top coming together!!! Spin the seams is another option. You'll have to press some of the seam the other way then because they all need to be going the same direction, in this case counter clockwise.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Just looked at your photo again--clockwise!!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I'm no help with the bulky seams. I'm the ironing, steaming, smashing them as flat as possible kind of stitcher which isn't professional at all. That being said I do trim well first and try to align as much as possible and nothing I stitch will ever be professionally quilted. But I love your blocks and how they are looking.