Pages

Monday, June 26, 2023

Design Wall Monday - June 26, 2023

Good Morning Quilters!

I made a great find in my stash yesterday.  Remember that I am trying to put 210 small intricate blocks into a quilt where they can be seen individually. 



 The colors/design of this vintage quilt is what I am using to guide me:

I found a neutral in my stash to use with my blocks last week, and have that sewn to my little blocks.  I thought I'd have to buy a brown fabric for the narrow vertical stripes.....but yesterday, I found a fabric in my stash that I think will work!  I am so happy.  I have no idea what I bought the brown fabric for, and it was in a box of mostly fat quarters in browns.  It was the largest piece of fabric in the box - at least three yards!  I calculated I'd need 2.75 yards if I bought something.  

Here is the brown print, which reads as a solid brown from a little distance:


In the original quilt, the brown is a print that reads as a solid from a distance,  too.  See a closeup of the vintage quilt here:


So now quilt top construction can begin.  I have triangles sewn on both sides of each of my blocks I'm using in lieu of the nine patches of the old quilt, and I now have the brown.....brown stripes and neutral stripes and blocks are going to appear on my design wall this week!  I can't wait!

What are you doing this week?   It feels so good to have my quilting mojo back.  I hope you all are keeping your projects going.  It pleases me so much to see your posts and pictures.  Thanks so much for joining the Design Wall Monday Linky Party.  Please mention Design Wall Mondays, and provide a link to this post from within your post.  



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

It's so nice when we make a find like this! You'll have another beauty, happy stitching!

Kate said...

It's such a good feeling to find exactly what you need in the stash. Looking forward to seeing all the stripes show up on the design wall.

maggie fellow said...

thank goodness for hidden stash treasures

Vicki in MN said...

It's always so nice and rewarding when we find something in our stash to use instead of going out and buying more! Happy sewing:)

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I love that you found a piece just the right size in your collection!!! Your quilt is coming together beautifully.

Bonnie said...

Serendipity! Great find to prevent further fabric acquisition. I don't tend to buy big pieces so I have little luck finding big hunks of fabric. On the other hand I don't usually make big quilts all that often. Hope you make a lot of progress this week.

Preeti said...

Yippee for your quilting mojo's return. i am sure you will have the top completed in no time. Have a great week and stay cool, if you can.

Sara said...

Your version of this vintage quilt will be stunning! Maybe even better than the original. Looks like your fabric find will work perfectly.

Quilter Kathy said...

Such a great find! Enjoy seeing your creation come to life!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Judy, isn't it great when you find those perfect fabrics in your stash. Good luck - looking forward to seeing your quilt as it grows up!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohh Beautiful find!!! and it will work perfectly!!!

dq said...

Judy, the details in those fabric squares really make this quilt spectacular. I am glad you found yourself something inspiring.