Pages

Monday, January 8, 2024

Design Wall Monday - January 8, 2024

 2024 - HERE WE COME!!

This is a new year, with new resolve to finish some of the UFOs that are in my possession.   This month I am sewing together 400 blocks to make a king sized quilt top.  I blogged about it recently (Here)   The pattern is named “Two Step” and is on the cover of a Barbara Brackman book.

My quilt will be 20 blocks across and 20 blocks down.  I plan to sew two rows a day, for ten days in January, and then it will be a quilt top.  Here are two days of sewing……forty blocks in the first two rows, and forty blocks in the 3rd and 4th rows.  It is interesting that all the center squares are the same size, but look bigger or smaller in comparison to other blocks because of the light and/or dark fabrics surrounding them.  It’s an optical illusion.  It is a very enjoyable project so far.



The two rows on the left haven’t had the joining seam pressed yet, and the two rows at right have been pressed.  They are temporarily hanging from my fabric storage cabinets until the design wall is empty.  

On the design wall is the hourglass block quilt that I am making (which wasn’t even on my UFO list).  The girls at the last retreat I attended showed an antique quilt and challenged everyone to make their own version.  My version has a combination of hsts and hourglass units, because I want to use up some of the  1,200 hsts in my stash that were from a group hst exchange.  Picture of original vintage quilt is (Here)

My quilt progress so far:



Someone said it reminds them of an old Dutch quilts, and that pleases me very much.  I love vintage Dutch quilts.

Since I think I know where I am going with this quilt next, I will take it down from the design wall to work on the next part——which will be six blocks deep of hourglasses all around the outside.  The hourglass blocks need to be made, and sewn into rows of six. That can happen “off design wall”  while the January Two Step…….“2 rows of 20 blocks each for 8 more days”  quilt progress takes shape on the design wall.  

I am so enthusiastic about completing some of the projects I have started over the years.  Have I told you that my UFO count is over 50 projects?  And that I love them all.   January always fills me with hope.  How about you?  

Please join in our Design Wall Monday Linky Party below and show us what you are working on this week.  I hope you have January enthusiasm too.  If you don’t, I hope some of mine rubs off on you.  January is a good month to start things and finish things!

Hugs, Judy

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

maggie fellow said...

I have many ufos too and I love them all. It is surprising how a little consistent sewing can make a quilt happen.

cityquilter grace said...

i love the two step project....have admired it a long time, even have cut out a photo for 'someday'....thanks for the push...lol

Gretchen Weaver said...

I hope you have an awesome week and accomplish all of your sewing plans, happy stitching!

Kate said...

I really like those Two Step blocks. Good luck on your goal to finish off some UFOs. I have about half as many as you. Hopefully we can both do some damage on those lists this year.

Bonnie said...

I haven't counted my UFOs recently. But I know I've made some dents in them. I think this might be the year of finishing...I have 15 or so tops in my closet waiting to be quilted. Hopefully I'll get a good number of those done as I bought at least 3 maybe 4 backing fabrics in Nov. Hope you continue to make progress on both of these great quilts.

Meloney said...

I am focusing on my UFOs this year. I have bought some in the last few years and not finished them, so now is the time! I will have some new starts, but that is OK. I hope to have most of the new starts completed by the end of the year.
I don't even want to think about how many UFOs I really have, but it doesn't matter. If I pull it and I don't like it anymore, the fabric goes back into the stash, or I share it with someone else.
I'm going to be on a low buy this year. I do need to get a few pieces of wool for some ornaments. I know there will be a time I will want to buy, and I will if I need it, but not just to buy.

Kim said...

You are right, January is such an optimistic and hopeful month (if I don't look outside at the weather, ha!).

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Judy, I hope that you make great progress on your Two Step quilt. It'll look great!

Marsha Cooper said...

I did notice the optical illusion in your rows at the top.

Carol Andrews said...

Ooooh! Your two WIPs are inspiring! The optical illusion is quite pronounced in that quilt. I, too am going to try to finish UFOs this year so I’m wishing you luck with your goal. 🤗

Anonymous said...

Massive quilts! Well done on your amazing work!